1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Superduty 5.4 second battery

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mark Erpelding, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I just put a second battery in my Superduty. I purchased a diesel drivers side battery box to install it I had to do the following.
    1- remove emissions canistor and mount (this bolts where battery box will mount)

2- Seperate the rivets on the canister mount. Only using the round portion of the mount. I then welded bolts throught the round mount near where origional rivets were. I bolted this to the vertical battery box support. I used used existing holes in the vertical support. I removed one bolt that was interferring with clearence and put the welded the one nearest the radiator thuough this hole (just oppsite of the way they had the bolt installed). Then scribed the existing hole on the mount firewall end and welded a bolt at that location. The bolts need to be welded because I installed the canistor in the mount.and bolted it to the vertical battery box support. (Welding bolts enable tighting)

**** NOTE when you locate canister to vertical battery box support make sure you get it as low as possible!!! This will give you the clearence you need to re-mount air cleaner******

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

heres a semi-related question: Did you mount the emis. canister upright? and do they have to be upright to work properly, or does it really matter? (my truck is a chevy, but i had to do tha same thing, and currently have it turned 90° sideways) Thanks

3. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I am a ASE ceritified in auto body repair, I have been around these canisters alot. I have seen them factory mounted different ways. I don't think it matters. The charchol just asorbs the gas fumes comming from the tank. I am not an engineer however.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Alright, it didnt seem to have affected the truck at all,so I wasnt real worried. Thanks for the info, answered that little burning question I had!!!

5. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

My ? is why two batteries in a gasser? I know the diesels have had two for years. Just curious as to why you would want/need two.

6. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I have a front and rear plow on the truck. I want more reserve power. With this much drain on the battery.

7. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

with the two batteries, did you have to upgrade the alterantor as well? and if so, to what?

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have any pixs?

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just notice this thread is 5 yrs old.Still anybody have pixs of this?

10. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I added a second battery tray in my 05 F250 SD to help with the Blizzard 810 that I had installed.

Notice the I had to remove the extra side pocket on the Cold air intake (Yellow circle) and cover to 1/2" hole with black tape(red arrow). Not really sure what the extra air chamber did, but it's been removed for a bout 6 months and still haven't noticed any difference in my gas mileage.

The heavy duty cables I got from www.custombatterycables.com

bat1.jpg

bat3.jpg

bat5.jpg

bat7.jpg

bat2.jpg

11. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

I have a tray for this from wrangler's I paid $100 for. I sold my 99 with the 5.4 Anybody want it? Make me an offer.

12. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Will that tray work for an 03 F150 with a 5.4?:waving:

13. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007