1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Super Duty Transmisons

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpm, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Sharpm

Sharpm Junior Member

Hi, I have a question we have a 2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty with 150,000 miles on it. The first tranny went out with 103,000 miles on it. We pull trailers with the truck and plow some snow but not a hole lot of snow. We have been good on the truck changing fluids when they need to be. But there are 5 or 6 guys i know that have had trannys go bad on them when they get over 100,000 miles on them. What do guys think. Mainly the 1999 and up.:salute:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mine went at 37,000!

3. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Well I have a 2001 F150 with 117,000 on it no problems yet (knock on wood) cant afford to have it go out now, plus i dont plow with it

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

From 99 till Ford introduced the Torque-shift tranny they are a known weak point.

5. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Man I didnt know that thats not what i want to hear u just ruined my day:cry:

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Any chance you can get your information correct before posting it? :dizzy: :dizzy:

'99-'02's have the 4R100, not sure on the '03's with the 7.3, but I don't think the TorqShift will mate to a 7.3. I have one that went at 78K, one that has about that many miles on it and is still strong and another with 56K that is strong. There are great options available for the 4R100 to make it a very strong, durable tranny.

'03 with 6.0's and up have the Torqshift. The weak points on a Torqshift are\were the planetary retaining pins that walk out due to improper machining and the crappy snap ring. I have one original that has 37K on it, the 2 in my 550's have both been rebuilt at least once.

I have 3 of each, so I know what I am talking about.

Don't sweat it, he's clueless.

7. hydro_37

from iowa

Clueless???? Better do some research yourself bui dippy. . Go to www.ford-trucks.com and read up. The trannys in the Super Duty's are known to be weak. With proper maintenence they will last a long time. The trucks have been using the new TorqShifts for a few years now and it is alot stronger tranny. So.....Mr omekes....read before you run your mouth.:dizzy:

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, clueless. You stated that from '99 and up were Torqshifts. Your information is WRONG, that is what I was talking about.

As you will notice, I stated that there are numerous fixes to make the 4R100 a strong, reliable transmission which infers that they are weak. And to an extent they are, although I have had good luck with mine as I also stated.

And if you will read at FTE (I'm a member there also and spend some time there getting info as well, maybe you've seen me, same user name as here) the TS are good transmissions except for the 2 things I stated.

I did read what you posted, and it was wrong. I was correcting the misinformation you posted. Maybe you ought to reread what you posted. :dizzy: :dizzy:

9. hydro_37

from iowa

I read it again....i said.....From 99 TILL Ford introduced the Torqshift.....Did you not read the TILL part. And yes I have read alot of your posts and you have great advice. Thanks for helping myself and others out on a regular basis.

10. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

My trans is starting to act up at 53k. Taking a long time to make the 2-3 shift.

On my second transfer case already too.

But these are "SUPER" duty trucks. :angry:

11. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Correction- the 99- 03 trans were not called 'Torqshift' trans-- The 'torqshift' was introduced in 03 mated to the 6.0 diesel - these transmissions do not mate to the 7.3 turbo diesels.

So mark is correct- edit your post to "03 ford introduced the Torqshift"

Joel

12. hydro_37

from iowa

I never once said the torqshift was in the 99-03 trucks...... I did say TILL ford began using them.......Guess a person has to be 100% specif before he posts. My APOLOGIES to ALL I may have offended..........

13. cjcocn

cjcocn Member

From 1999 - 2003, until Ford introduced the Torque-shift tranny in 2004, they (the '99 - '03 trannies) are a known weak point.

.... moving on .....

Does the OP's F250 have the 4R100 for sure? I recall reading somewhere (the FTE forums?) that some early 2000 F250s still had the E4OD trannies?

14. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty sure the E4od was discontinued in 97 or 98.

15. K. Meyer

K. Meyer Junior Member

I thought the e4od went out with that body style. the 99's came with the 4r100. I've got an 01' with 75k on it and has been pretty good but exceptionally slow shifting from forward to reverse. I also have 2 torqshifts and both shudder on occasion shifting into reverse. Although it shifts quicker i'm not convinced it's going to last much longer. i love my fords but they have weak points just as the others

16. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

My 04 started throwing code and shift troubles fron 2-3 at 43000miles. Will see how long the rebuild lasts $1900 later and that was discounted.

17. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Wow, this thread is all over the place!

The early 99s have the E4OD, my Dad has 2 of them, both rebuilt around 210,000 miles. mine is an 03 with the 7.3 and the 4R100 and went out at 76,000 miles but there was a previous owner so who knows how it was treated. Mine has been rebuilt and is VERY strong and definately not a weak point any more. And the 4R100 is actually a pretty stout trans that can take a good amount of abuse. mine only really went out when I was trying to pull a huge tree root ball out of the ground. Im not sure when the last year of the E4OD was but i think it was the early 99s or 2000.

18. moremph

moremph Junior Member
    from NKY

trans

The e40d was in the 90's od idi trucks And all 93 and newer diesel trucks till the 97 model year

The 4r100 was in the 99 model year to the 03 7.3 trucks They are basically the same trans except with some internal diffrences and the 4r100 has two speed sensors in it. the 4r100 can be used in place of the e4od but not vice versa.

The 5r110 or torque shift came out in 03 with the 6.0 diesel and has proved to be a somewhat stout tranny, The aftermarket is not as strong with the torqueshifts but they do make upgraded clutch and a better tq convertor does wonders.

Back the the e4od and 4r100 I rebuild em all the time for my pulling truck as well as some local guys, the way i do it is not cheap but they hold up alot better. You want a heavy duty clutch like a raybestos tow pack or a red alto cluthc. Then you want a transgo tugger kit in the trans (properly tuned) and a good three to five disc convertor, I prefer precision/BTS for a daily driver/ work truck or a ATS for a pulling truck/drag race truck,

The key to making these trannies live is keeping the fluid cool. And suprisingly enought the best cooler on the market is made by FORD. The cooler that comes on the 6.0 trucks is HUGE and drops right in the older 99 and newer 7.3 trucks. You only have to modify the lines feeding the cooler adapting from 3/8 line to 1/2

If anyone has any ?'s feel free to shoot me a pm i may be the new guy but i live and breath PSD's

Travis

19. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Early 99s have the E4OD, we just had the other one rebuilt, they did not stop putting them in at 97. unless build sheets and our trans builder is wrong but know that not the case.

you are correct in that the E4OD and 4R100 are pretty much the same trans.

20. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I have 246k miles on my original trans. I know it's days are numbered, but no problems so far.