1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford super duty locking hubs help please!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PORTER 05, Dec 31, 2005.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

hey, i got a 2000 ford f 350 diesel 4x4...i need to know alittle more about the hubs, know they need to be locked inorder for the truck to be able to be in 4x4? know wat if you lock then but dont engage the 4x4, can you drive for a few hrs witht he hubs locked but not in 4x4...please help. oh ya and i have the floor mounted manual lever 4x4wat if u dont lock them, and then put the truck in 4x4, wat happens then>>>???

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i leave the hubs locked when the weather is bad even if im in 2wd.
    only thing it will do is decrease your fuel econo and cause a little more wear on the front end. since my wife has problems turning the locks on her
    excursion i usually lock them before the storm

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

My eyes hurt from trying to read this post:dizzy:

In a nutshell... Lock 'em and leave 'em. Use the lever on the floor to engage the 4wd in the winter. I lock mine in for the first storm and unlock them in the spring time. As said earlier, you will lose some mileage and will wear joints a bit faster but it's no biggie.
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Put a set of warn premium locking hubs. My mother (50 years old) can turn them will out a problem.
  5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

is it really as easy as it seems to put the Warns in there?

my auto hubs are acting up again, I have taken them out and cleaned them once before and it helped for a while, now it seems like they are not disengaging again
  6. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

They are a peace of cake to install, in my opinion the stock ford hubs are terrible and if your plowing snow get some warn.
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

True, but not when you have a dually. Since they don't fit a dually do to the different front axel. Ended up doing custom machining on my hubs for the dump truck.

But they are a blessing compared to my old junky ford ones.
  8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Lock em and forget them--or when you put your blade on lock them!---That way your all set to push snow by switching the florr lever!!!!!!!!
  9. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I lock them the night before it snows just to save on ware and fuel.

I take them apart every year and re-grease so they won't freeze up.

if you leave the hubs engaged while not in 4x4 all the front end componets will be turning but it will be disengaged in the transfer case.

if you have it 4x4 with out the hubs engaged it will just frewheel but the front and rears turn at the same speed except when going around courners so I woudn't do it but I don't think it will do any damage.

Also if you have CV joints in the front the less you have them spinning during tight turns the better since the dam boots rip.
  10. slammin4x4

slammin4x4 Junior Member
    from CT

What is the big advantage of Warns over Ford? Can you tell a difference, or just better quality?
  11. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the difference in price alone is worth the Warns
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can leave them locked in all year long and drive as normal if you want.
    As for shifting the transfer case. You can shift in to and out of 4x4 as long as you are not under heavy acceleration or decelerating fast. you should be able to slip it in and out of gear.
    I would unlock the hubs when the weather is clear and lock them in when it starts to snow. It will decrease you mileage and wear out the front drive line faster if you chose to run with them locked in all of the time as your front drive line will be spining all of the time.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  13. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Do you need to lock hubs on fords newer model.. i think there is a notch that says AUTO on the hub.. thats where mine are.. and never touched them. What should be done?
  14. hotrod7

hotrod7 Junior Member

locking hubs on ford

i have a 2003 f250 and when the hubs are in auto what you have is a limited slip, not true four wheel drive, and when in manual you have all four wheels turning at the same time. i plow with the hubs in auto most of the time and works fine.:drinkup:
  15. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

problem with those auto hubs is one day they will stop working right, then will you want to spend the money on the Ford hubs or buy the Warns?

manual or auto hubs unless you have posi front and rear you realley dont have true 4wd. the way the hubs lock have no bearing on how the differential works

17. alternative

so when plowing they should actually be in LOCK...??
  18. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

yes, put them in lock

its just so nice when your going from site to site to be able to push the button and have the front free without getting out of the truck

id lock them i dont trust the auto mode .havent worked on my wifes excursion since new.

20. alternative

what do you mean its nice to just push a button and have the front free.? is it not free when in Auto? i dont follow. i guess because all my other trucks are GM and there are no hub controls... THanks