1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford starter problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by terrapro, Sep 8, 2009.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

My dad has a 95 2wd f-150 with an inline 6 cylinder.

Recently he had a problem with the starter grinding/buzzing and getting really hot after starting it and running for only a few minutes. He has replaced the solenoid and the sarter and it is still doing it.

Could the ignition switch be the culprit here? He lives 215 miles away so it is kinda hard for me to diagnose it myself.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The average of bad parts a counter guy told me is 1 in 10,000. I seem to be Mr.10,000 more then my share ! If the starter is not working right take it back. He paid his money, he experts it to work. The straight 6 is a great engine for the job it does. The starter should not even heat up with the little work it does to start the truck.

3. terrapro

from MI

Thanks for the response. The thing is is that he had the old one tested and the bendix goes right in and out as normal and showed no wear on the teeth but he replaced it anyway and the sound is still going on. :cry:

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Check the voltage to the solenoid without the starter installed. See if it reacts like it should with a test light or meter (test light will be easier) Could be an ignition switch sticking or something strange like that. That truck has 2 solenoids right? One on the fender and one on the starter. I am assuming he replaced both?

5. terrapro

from MI

He replaced the one on the fender and the entire starter.

Last night he was messing around and they unplugged a little wire not the main plug on the alternater and the noise stopped?! Any one have any ideas there?

6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That wire runs the voltage regulator, and is is energized when the ignition switch is turned on. That way, your alternator is only connected when the truck is on. But I don't see how that could be connected to the noise in the starter-unless the noise isn't coming from the starter. Could be a bad alternator, that you only hear once it is running, and he thinks it is coming from the starter? a quick test he could do to check and see if the starter is getting abnormally hot--unplug the main sparg plug wire from the coil, which will prevent the engine from starting. Turn the truck over a few times, about as much as it would take to normally start it, and see if the starter is hot. The starter has approximately 5000 watts going to it, so the heat might be normal and completely unrelated to the noise problem.