1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Snow Tires

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Gicon, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am about to take the plunge into 4 brand new BF Goodrich Mud All Terrains. Any opinions either good or bad with your thoughts on these tires, or better tires out there on the market??

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we have a couple sets of BF commercial TA "traction", they seem to work well in snow. also have a set of BF commercial TA "all season", they work great for a crew cab, not agressive enough for a plow truck though. i would stay away from the "mud tire", don't think that would work very well in snow.

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

hmmm very interesting comment. I thought the same thing about the "mud" portion. Whats wrong with these manufacturers. How come they dont have an unbelivable snow tire. Mud? Who cares. Its all about the $now

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Get the Cooper Discoverer M&S. They are an awesome tire. I bought a spare set of rims for my 350's and switch to them in the winter. Switch back in the the spring.

5. ThePlowKing

ThePlowKing Member

I had a set of the Mud TA's on my chevy (285/75/16) and I have to say they were the absolute wost set of tires i have ever had for snowplowing! I would reccomend the Bridgestone Winter doulers, i ran a 265/75/16 with 400 lbs of weight in the bed and most of the time i never even went into four wheel drive. Awesome tires

Brian

6. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Junior Member
    from CT

A friend of mine put the Coopers on and they worked good (good value also). I just put Toyos on my truck last season and have been happy with them. One of my accounts always gets a big long drift against the building I hardley ever lose traction on my first push to get it away from the building. Sometimes half of the lots snow is in that drift and it is running of the sides of my hood by then end of the push :)

7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I think that they are way over priced for what they are and do. I bought a set last year out of desperation because they were the only things available at the time to fit my 05 F-350 w/ LT275/70R18.

The Cooper line is a good one overall and I have run the Cooper Discoverers for the last 10-15 years. I have heard good things about the M&S's too but I have also heard that they wear Very quickly when used year round.

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Big Dog, What size tires do you run on your pick ups? Snow Tires that is

9. Big Dog D

OEM is 275/70/R18 but when I went searching for tires last winter the only thing that I found were available were the BFG's in the 285/65R18 size. The BFG's were OK but I would like something better. I have been looking online with all mfgs. and no one had anything till now.

Goodyear came up with a Wrangler Silent Armor that looks really good in the OEM size.
    http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+SilentArmor&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

When I was talking with my tire guy he said that Cooper and Michelin were going to be releasing some new sizes inj the beginning of Oct. and suggested that I may want to wait till then.

I will use the BFG's in the summer and something more aggressive and with a narrower profile in the winter.

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am thinking of putting 245 75 16E on my truck for the winter, than back to the 265 75 16's from the factory for the summer spring and fall

11. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

BFG's All Terrain is my personal favorite.

-Thann

12. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

What tires to run?

:waving: I've see this question before. It's like asking Ford or Chevy? But, I'll give my .50 worth. I agree with Mark Oomkes, up top there. I have been running Coopers for years and have no problems!! :drinkup:

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

13. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

I just ordered a set of the Goodyears Silent Armor as I have 18" BUT for a 16" Load Range E tire for all season and SNOW the BEST tire I ran was the Bridgestone REVO's. If the REVO's were available in 18" I would not own anything else.

14. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i love my nittos best tire ever

15. VWEEDON

VWEEDON Junior Member

4evergreenlawns Can You Tell Me Where You Ordered Your 18" Goodyears

Hi I Am From Michigan And I Was Wondering If You Can Tell Me Where You Ordered Your 18" Tires From And When Are They Expected In Stock. How Much Were They? I Am Trying To Find Them Here In Michigan Because The Continentals Are Junk And Am Having A Hard Time Finding Them.
    Thanks

16. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

BFG all terrain tko's are now available in the 18" Load E tire - Belle, Discount or anyone else.

Beware though - The "E" tires are about 1300 a set, most of the chumps will look up the tire and tell you 1000 to 1100 a set, those are load "D", and if you haul alot of weight, you ain't gettin a deal.................

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am buying (4) 245 75 16 Load Range E BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO's. We will see how they work.......if we get any snow this winter that is.

18. Big Dog D

FWIW I wouldn't. I don't think the traction is that great. The side walls are so weak they have and create a lot of roll and sway that I never had before and to top it all of I think they are extremely over priced. Other than that they suck!

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Big Dog, I greatly appretiate your comments. Can you please recommend me a better tire? I am certaintly open to suggestions. I will be buying tires around the end of the month / beg of november

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Gee, could you let us know what you really think? :D