1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford rust repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ford6.9, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

So I have a F350 and its got some rust over the rear wheels. Right now its just bubbling not rotted out or anything at this point.

How hard would this be to clean up and repair and still have it look rather good? Trying to keep it from looking like a home repair job.

Thanks in advance I know there's a good deal of guys on here that know their body work.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get out the grinder and have at it. Use some bando to make the repair and then paint.
  3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

The only way to do it right is to cut it out and replace it with patch panels. JC whitney has pretty cheap panels.You could grind it down, sandblast it, and repaint, but it may come back. If you do not get every little bit of the rust it will come back worse as the bondo will bubble out and look like crap
  4. timberjack

timberjack Member

You might as well budget for the patch panel repair and do it right the first time, even if it means waiting longer.

Mine was bubbling up too, and i thought i'd cleaned it out perfectly, refilled the area, and even painted with a POR15 base. It did last another year, but just came back worse than before.

I think if you're to the point where the paint is bubbling up, there's more damage than you think.
  5. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

6. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

90% of the time the rust is coming through from the inside, simply patching up the outside will not stop it. for a cheap fix the only way is to clean both the inside and outside and then use a good quality rust primer/converter. This will give you a few more years anyways.
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Its right over the arch for the wheels on the rear, I am not looking for it to be perfect. It is a work truck, but at the same time I understand the difference of doing something vs. doing it right. Still a bit torn on cutting it out vs. sanding it down both sides and painting it. I a little afraid of blending the patched areas paint with the whole bed. Just never done anything like this before.
  8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well I disagree after investigation rot fender on our F250.

I was look at bubbles that we got tons new on fender where it was rot. If you try push bubble it come out was WATER.

I wonder how water get inside paint then sit until it rot.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a friend that used to say you could hear a Ford rust on a quiet day.

10. Milwaukee

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, those Ford frames are indestructible, right? Should I link the recent thread of the F250 that broke clean off on BOTH sides?
  12. Milwaukee

Here question

How many ford frame that broke here

Let me say I believe I see lot gm frames broke than Ford or Dodge.

Once again that F250 was city truck which worker don't treat nice and hit curb so hard that snap frame.
  13. hitachiman 200

The panel is perforated. Bondo will act like a sponge and pull the water from the inside. Thats why you need to clean and treat both sides of the panel to prevent further damage.
  14. hitachiman 200

They always go at the arch, dirt and salt sit on the lip on the inside causing accelerated decay. It is hard to blend in the color using a spray can and cheapo guns aren't much better. A reasonable gun can be had for around $125-$135 or you can pay a paint shop $100 to paint it for you.

If you go for the sand and fill route try a can of color. on the last coats hold the can farther away each time and blend into the surounding paint. Take your time though and allow each coat to tack up. Once dry give it a light scrub with a 3M pad and cover with clear coat if required. Now you can sand down with a fine paper, say 800 grit, and polish the whole panel.
    from a distance it will probably look pretty good.
  15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Rust never sleeps. New sheetmetal is the only way to stop it.
  16. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

For a quick fix you can try POR 15 or chassis saver is another product that is suppose to stop rust.
  17. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

Rust =s Cancer even when you think you got it all you usually don't and it ends up popping up somewhere else.

If you don't do it right the 1st time you will always be chasing it and even then it's seems like it's only a matter of time and it's back.

:realmad: RUST!!!