1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford ranger

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by M&P, Dec 28, 2007.

1. M&P

M&P Junior Member

Hey guys, brand new here.
    As of right now me and my partner mike have been taking care of 25 accounts every storm. I have a mtd yard machines with a 26" and 8hp tecumsen, Mike has a smaller version with the 5 hp and 22" mouth. My question is would we be able to significantyl increse our productivity if i purchase a snow way plow for my 1999 ford ranger ext. cab 3.0 standard 4x4? I know the truck is small, and it has torsion bars in the front end, so can i handle the weight? it is a plexiglass/lexan blade, i think its real lightwieght. Oh and this setup is used. Will this setup work on my truck because of the torsion bars? will it increase productivity? thanks for any and all help guys.
    -Pete

2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Hi, not sure if the torsion bars are a good or bad thing for plowing except that most crank them up for better performance.
    I have been looking at vehicles for a backup plow in case my Super Duty breaks. My opinion is that if you keep up with larger storms you can plow with just about any 4WD vehicle (truck or midsize and up SUV). The WAY you plow and operate your equipment is key to being able to be productive. In my opinion, YES you will increase productivity greatly. If you have the resources to purchace such a vehicle, do so and give it a try...I think you will be happy with your decision. Personally, I am looking at Jeeps as they are a short wheelbase and easy to maneuver in tight driveways, but the Ranger is also a good choice. Visit a Snoway dealer and he will explain all your options for that vehicle. Good Luck!
    Sorry I just realized you already have the Ranger...YES..go for it! You'll love the difference between plowing and blowing. Consider insurance as well, as plowing can get you into a bit more trouble than a snowblower..!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

dont crank the bars the snow-ways r light enough u dont really need to and if u crank them with out the plow up ull be out of alignment. snoway with the down pressure system will beat the heck out of blowing snow.

4. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

You will love the way it performes and probably with the extra time,and people seeing you out with it, you will see an increase in bussiness. Best of Luck!!

5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

If you can add timbrens or ballast you should be fine. for a plow, either snoway or the new meyers drive-pro.

6. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

Check the doorjam sticker to see what t bars you have. Also check the axle ratio's. The stiffer torsion bars are the F bars.

7. M&P

M&P Junior Member

hey, thanks for all the answers guys, and ill check the truck out tommorow, in regards to the torsion bars. as for snow, tommorow night were supposed to get another six inches, hopefully ill be able to pull some serious money in to finance the plow.

8. you have T bars on that truck. They switched to that suspension with the 98's. I have an '02 ranger with a sno-way with down pressure. It fits the truck really well and the ranger does just fine.