1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Ranger?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 96_ranger_4x4, Jan 12, 2007.

1. 96_ranger_4x4

96_ranger_4x4 Junior Member

hey guys.... im new to the site and looking into plowing starting next year, while im in college.

as you can tell by my name... i have a ford ranger, i was wondering what plow you think would be best for my truck. or if i should just not even bother trying to plow with it.

most, if not all of the plowing would be residential, and probably only 8 houses max to start out. by the way, i am in cleveland, ohio. thanks for the help.

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Try a snoway and do not forget to crank your t-bars and add timbrens and maybe ballast.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Welcome to plowsite. A Sno-Way would make an excellent choice. I would recommend a down pressure model since you will be doing residential drives. You can learn more about our products by visiting our factory website http://www.snoway.com.

I would also recommend some form of load booster such as timbren.

Good luck with your decision.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

go with meyers 6.5 e-60 in the area they have parts everywhere

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Look for my thread about big bad plow truck. It shows our Ford ranger with a fisher 6.8" plow. I would go with a fisher 6.8', western 6.6' or blizzard 680LT. Anything but a Meyer or a snoway. Both are total junk.

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen a few newer Rangers with Blizzards in my area.

7. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

96 rangers are pre torson bars, thats 98+ trucks. His truck is TTB suspension, which is the best and worsed suspension ever (for diffrent reasons Im not getting into right now).

DEFINATLY get a set of air bags for the front that go in the coils. If not, you will get tipical TTB negative camber and distroy your tires, along with your ball joints within a winter.

Now you did not say if your truck has a 3.0 or a 4.0, manual or auto. If it is a 3.0, DO NOT get a plow. 3.0s are gutless under the weight of a empty truck, add a plow to the front and you will not move. 4.0 5-speed is the way to go, but if you have a auto you can still plow just be careful. The A4LD that most of those trucks have are junk. You can push them so far but just dont let the tranny get to hot, install a trans temp guage and watch your levels.

If you have any more ranger related questions, check out www.RangerResource.net. Its a great site to get your questions answered.

8. 96_ranger_4x4

thanks for the input guys.

by the way... i do have the 4.0 with a 5 speed.

9. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Then you will be fine.

Just noticed you are in Cleveland, you go to CSU or what?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did a snoway scare you when you where a small child?:rolleyes: You never give your reasons, just spew your hatred at every opportunity.:confused:

96_ranger_4x4, look at the public profile of the people who offer advice. back track their history, the site lets you do it. Remember this is the Internet all is not as it always appears:cool:

Any makers light duty plow will serve your purpose. Add front suspension assists by all means. Chose a plow which you can get good reliable service for. Cruise the different forums. I think a 22 series snoway would be an excellent fit for your truck for many reasons, but don't buy one if you cann't get local support.

11. Brandon

Brandon Member

I have a 6'6" Western Unimount for my '97 Ranger. Works good. I normally wouldn't recommend Meyer, but they are big in this area and might be easier to find than some other brands if you're going the used route. I would think Western, Meyer, Fisher, Blizzard, or Snoway would all be suitable choices. Comes down to what you wanna spend, what you can find (if you're looking for used stuff), and what dealers are near to you.

12. itsgottobegreen

Lets see used on 1 time on a buddies truck, only to have the entire lexan piece exploded with I pushed up into a pile. Needless to say my buddy had a fisher back on the truck by the next storm.

They are too lightly built. Oh wow down pressure. Woopie do. There is only one guy in my area with one. He hates it.

13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Well it is the total opposite here all Sno ways and no fishers I haven't seen a fisher in years around here.So if I run the steel insert not the lexan.So Sno way gets a bad name because some lexan broke on you?

RCGM
    brad

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I guess at 21 having one experance equals expertize.

Uncomman, but easy to repair, throw a new lexan/steel/stainless steel moldboard in in minuties. It's a neat design, why Fisher copied it for the X-Blade.

One of the new X frames?

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I guess at 21 having one experience equals expertize.

Uncommon, but easy to repair, throw a new lexan/steel/stainless steel moldboard in in minutes. It's a neat design, why Fisher copied it for the X-Blade.

One of the new X frames?

Yet they have a 5 year warranty on black iron, and others are copying their design.

Glad that excites you, the patent will run out, and everybody's plow that has been designed in this century will have it. Only the old designs with chain lift will be left out.

I wonder what he says when you're not around and he doesn't have to listen to your prejudice ramblings.

The old farmers used to say that John Deere painted their stuff green to hide in the grass from the allis-chambers. What are you hiding from? From your posts I'm guessing it's your 6 grade English teacher.

16. 96_ranger_4x4

VBigFord20... im in high school this year, and next year i will probably end up going to lakeland for a year.

17. johnmel

johnmel Junior Member
    from 44111

plow

i have a western unimount 6'6 for sale for a 94 ranger includes air bags make offer

18. itsgottobegreen

You can get chain anywhere at 2 am. You can't get a down pressure thingamaigy anywhere at 2 am. Chains work and always will work. So your completely wrong about that. Why do you think western and fisher keep using chain? Its reliable. PEROID!

Ok wise@$$ why don't you try living with dyslexia and a learning dissablity. So shut up.

19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i seen a home pro from curtis on a ranger looks real nice half the price of a snowway

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yep I saw them at the coffee stop yesterday morning, I said "hey what are those" and they said "Snowplow lift chains, everybody carries them" :rolleyes:

Sure you can, my shop carries them and if it's snowing we're open. then there's the fact if your DP quits working you still can gravity drop like the rest of plow world. DP is an optional function to be used as necessary.:cool:

Great for pulling out stuck trucks, holding loads on trailers. They also are excellent for restraining dogs and beating off the adoring public.

No, I'm right, chain lift plows must be totally redesigned before they will be capable of applying DP

Western and Fisher keep using chains because until the new X-blade they haven't re-designed their units in decades, they've just preformed the necessary modifications to meet the federal requirements for front end safety.
    the older designs use a chain because that's how it was done back in the day when they first modified their plows from screw jacks to hydraulics. Look at some of the old horse drawn plows. They used the same system only with a screw jack to lift. Most plows engineered in a more modern era are using some form of scissor lift system.
    scissor lifts don't ski over the pile while stacking, or backdraging. scissor lifts don't need to be land leviathans to stay on the ground, even with out the down pressure. Chain slap doesn't overload the front end when you hit a bump traveling from job to job. they can lift higher, and respond faster. Bonus no need to slide a piece of garden hose over the chain to keep it from kinking and not allowing proper float.

Is that what you're on? it would answer lots of questions. However if you used the big yellow button in the bottom right that reads "spell check" you would find it's spelled "PERIOD"

Your arguments would appear more valid if you took the time to write complete well thought out sentences with the words properly spelled. I'm surprised that a man of your youth has built the array of equipment you list with as poor of communication skills as you display on the site.