1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by capitolseal, Mar 1, 2010.

1. capitolseal

capitolseal Junior Member

I recently got a 08 350 psd. gmac wouldn't finance me so i switched teams and now i'm rolling around in a ford. i hate the fact that the engine idles up every 15 seconds to stay warm, not exactly comforting when i'm trying to catch some sleep during a snowstorm but whatever, i understand the reasoning behind it. My main concern is that sometimes when i'm driving the tailpipe will just start pouring out smoke. is that a normal thing?? i know they got some crazy smog particulate filter system and this may be a side effect of that. the smoke stops after about 10 seconds and the truck is running fine. besides that i get like 10 mpg empty around town. my duramax was getting 18. all these new smog regulations suck and my pocket is feeling the pain.

2. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I would take it in and have it checked out it should get better mpg than that mine gets 19 and doesnt smoke at all maybe EGR valve is bad. and welcome to the better team FORD. good luck

3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Mileage will depend on rear end and wheel configuration as well as driving habits. I have an '08 F550, which I let the truck idle a lot, and with a 4.88 rear end I get around 8 MPG of mixed driving. I just picked up a '10 F250 with 17" rims and a 3.55 rear end, the first tank of fuel I got around 12 MPG. Once again, I let the truck idle here and there as well.

As for the smoke, does it happen upon start up? There was a recall on the '08's about a year ago with bad injectors and they were dumping too much fuel into the motor. My F550 had eight bad injectors. The amount that will have to be replaced is based upon your VIN.

You could drop the DPF to gain mileage, but I don't recommend it.

Just my .02¢

4. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Double Post

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Why would you not recommend dropping the DPF? I have taken them off both of our 6.4's and it is the best thing you can do for these trucks. Stock our plow truck used almost 4 GPH plowing, now it uses right at 2GPH.
    Robert

6. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Good for you on dropping the DPF's. I don't ever recommend or condone illegal actions. Additionally, you must live in an area that doesn't have testing/inspections for diesel trucks. Some people aren't fortunate in that sense. Of course you can switch it in and out as needed, but in the case of a break down out on the road somewhere away from home what would you do?

Right out of the factory the '10 is getting the same mileage as my 6.0's. I'm happy with that for two reasons. For one, the mileage will only get better as the miles/hours are logged on the truck. Second, like all my trucks, they are work trucks. Mileage is not my top priority. As for the '08 F550, I don't factor mileage into any equation. However, in 10K miles/600 hours time, I've gained 65 miles to each tank of fuel. Same driving habits and same type of use.

7. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

The 6.4 engines, the egr valve will plug up, so Ford has the computer kickup the rpm when at idle.

8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

That plus to prevent wet stacking. The cooling system on the 6.4 PSD are bigger and a lot more efficient at dissipating heat. I can maintain the coolant temperature in the middle of the normal zone on the 6.0 with a 1200 rpm elevated idle, but on the 6.4 it will be down in the lower part of the normal range in the same conditions and elevated idle.

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Are you going off the factor dummy gauge on the dash? Mine will usually stay over 160 on high idle (if the motor is already warm that is).
    Robert

10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

No. On all the trucks we have additional transmission temperature and engine temperature gauges. Can't trust the factory gauges.