1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford powerstroke E4OD heating up

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by thewizard, Feb 11, 2010.

1. thewizard

thewizard Member

ok, last week we had a storm that was the same amount of snow as the one that came this week. not sure on numbers, but it was atleast 12". anyway, last week on my ride home i launched my front drive shaft outta my 1997 F-250. it has a powerstroke 7.3 in it. when the shaft came out it damaged my trans pan and the sender i installed in it for a trans temp gauge.
    before i broke this, the trans was running no hotter than 150 degrees when i was plowing. i plowed the same shopping mall this week as last week and now its running like 210-220 and i have to stop every so often and cool it. i also noticed that just keepin the blade low when driving now isnt enough. i have to keep it cocked to the left and even then it still come up to 210 sometimes.
    when i fixed the pan i installed a new filter in the trans and new fluid. the trans is realitivley new, and this year was its first plow season.
    now, the snow this time was heavy and wet, but even today after the roads were clear and clean, i was driving and it was running 180. i know 180 is normal operating temp for an E4OD, but before all this happened, the trans tem pdidnt come above 110 driving down the road at all. plow or not.
    i checked my cooler, its an aftermarket 26,000 lb unit and is not connected to the radiator, and its clean. i even took it to the car wash and blasted it to make sure. no ice or snow cloggin it.
    has this ever happeneed to any of you guys or does any body have any suggestions as to what might cause this sudden heat spike??
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

did you change the temp probe?
  3. thewizard

thewizard Member

oh and btw, it is shifting fine in all gears and into reverse and the fluid smell nice and im not gettin any tranny stink from the truck. i even had a friend see if he could smell hot trans since i had been in and around the truck for hours, and he said he didnt smell anything and also agreed on the fluid lookin good.
  4. thewizard

thewizard Member

yes, the original one got smashed when the shaft came out. its an autometer unit. i ordered the same autometer unit from summit racing and replaced it. i did notice now that the gauge tends to jitterbug alot. especially if i hit slush. never had this happen before. im thinkin that the water is grounding it out and makin it spike around. it would go from 170 cruisin the highway to instanly 250 and then back to 180 and jump, but it was erratic and fast, not like the fluid was changin temp. i dont see how the fluid could instanly hot then cold again. maybe the new sender is bad??
  5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Could be the sender. My PSD runs about 150 when plowing also. Had the same issue with an erratic read but was a bad connection. Did you flush and fill or just refill? Could be a piece of crud jamming up a line. Are you running synthetic now or were you before and refilled with conventional ATF?
  6. thewizard

thewizard Member

im going to check all the wiring on it maybe tomorrow or saturday. i think im going to dump the fluid since it got a work out, and when i do in going to hook up a mechanical temp gauge temporarily and see what happens when i go for a ride and push some snow around. theres dam sure enough snow still here to try it with lol

150, someone else on a 4wd forum im on told me the same thing, he plowed in this storm not far from me also.

as far as crud goes, im deffinetly not ruling that out, but i find it might be hard to have any in this particular trans. i blew out the old one the last time i plowed with the truck, like 3 years ago. we havent had enough snow here for me to bother hookin up the truck plow since then and for a while i had been in the "im not gonna plow and kill my truck" mindset. the trans in 3 years might have gotten 30k on it. i dont drive it much and used mainly to pull trailers of junk to the scrap yard or to haul around my mud truck. never ever had it go over 150 towing either.

i have a aftermarket extra capacity pan with a drain plug in it and i drained it twice before this instance, trying to keep nice fluid in it. it was free from work so why not change it often lol. i didnt do a complete flush, or drain out the converter. just drop the fluid in the pan and refill. this time when i did it i also did the filter. currently it has regular old dexron/mercon III from napa. nothing synthetic.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. thewizard

thewizard Member

well, i started it up this morning after sitting all night and it was all the way cold. within 30 minutes of idling the trans was at about 130 according to the gauge. pushed a couple little piles at my house and took it up the road and it got up to bout 170.

i had another mechanical water temp gauge in the shop. i took it and tested it in a pan of water on the stove. it was working and i confirmed it with a thermometer i had.

i proceeded to start a temporary instal of this gauge and when i drained my pan the fluid was so nice and clean i could see through it as it was coming out of the drain on the pan. when i went to remove the electric sender for the original gauge i noticed the brass was orange, like it had been getting burned from current. i installed the mechanical unit in the port and took it for a ride.

earlier it heated up quickly going the same route i did on my second test drive. on the second trip the gauge didnt move off of 140. 140 is where the gauge starts so it was probably cooler than that.
  8. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

yeah, it certainly sounds like the new sender is bad. Can you see any cracks in it? Ive heard of issues like youre having, or even just burying the needle when the sender is cracked.
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Gotta be a bad sender or wire or connection. Just the amount of heat built up in the trans case, gears and main shaft would not let the temp make big swings in readings. Like I always say " One in 10 thousand parts are bad right out of the box "( industry average )
    "Why do I always have to be Mr. 10,000?" Summit Racing will make it right,I buy stuff there all the time. I live like 8 miles from the store.
  10. thewizard

thewizard Member

i didnt see any cracks in it, but it is a very small unit, and i didnt spend to much time really lookin at it. there is deffinetly somthing wrong with it though. as i said, it looks burnt up. similar to how cleanly burnt copper wire looks if all the black burnt rubber is off of it. im going to call summit monday and see about getting a new one. i also want to go over all the wiring from the back of the gaug down to where the sender is. im prety meticulous when it comes to wiring, and i dont beleive i did anythign tho cause the wiring to fail wheni installed it but that was 3 years ago and it may have rubbed through or got corrosion somewhere that i cant see.