1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford power stroke diesel oil pan

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PORTER 05, Feb 20, 2006.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

was there any ford recalls for the oil pan or oil cooler system on the ford's with the power stroke diesel, it seems like everyone i talk to has the problems??

2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

None that I'm aware of--just got a recall notice--will have to check out what it's for---Would be nice if it was the oil pan--PIA to change!!!!!

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

They won't recall what they'll tell you is normal wear and tear from salt related plowing. The oil pans are a huge problem, and a huge expense to replace. They changed to thinner cheaper metal, and the pans are garbage.

4. Ya, the motor needs to be pulled to get it off................:yow!:

5. zapster

zapster Member

i bought my truck in may 04 (99 7.3 psd)

got it used from a ford dealer that had just put a new pan on it

when i test drove it then parked it out front of the stealership the pan was leaking from the front and rear seals
    they had to take the motor back out and do it again:dizzy:

and i had to wait another week before i took it home

yes the pans are "junk" somewhat

...zap!

6. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Figures....After reading all these posts my 03 started leaking last weak.

Our in house mechanic used something on it as a temp fix. Hope it holds up till spring when its gone.

7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Bring them to the dealer! Most if not all are covered by the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty that comes w/ the engine. Trust me I've had three done already and look like I'm getting close to #4. Note; all were different vehicles.

8. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

We welded a plate over the area infront of the drain bolt on a van. Ours was so bad that I started to clean the area to use some jbweld on it and I said forget it. So I brought my millermatic to the shop and put a outlet on the wall far it and we took care of it. I did have some small problems while welding it. I kept burnning holes through the cheap metal pan. to get around this we put in about 4 gallons of water it the pan for cooling. Yes we did drain the oil first.
    Nice thing with the water was when it stopped leaking I knew it was not going to leak. This was done back in november 2005, and still no leaks.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I hear it's very common.. my friend also lost a pan as soon as took it to the car wash, the undercarriage spray did it in.

Not covered.. fried the engine, no plow prep package! no warranty from Ford.