1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford overdrive light blinking

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by riper, Mar 2, 2005.

1. riper

riper Junior Member
    from maine

97 ford f250 5.4 auto. The over drive off light on the shifting handle started
    blinking on in off.I shut the truck off and it shift gears hard.I shut the truck off then restarted it and it came out off it. the manual said to call my ford dealer that this could hurt the transmission. Has any had this problem and
    what was the cause? :)

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

It means there is something really wrong. When there is a failure in the trans (bad sensor, etc.) the light will blink and it will go into pretective mode, where the line pressures will go all the way up, and you'll get hard shifts. You'll need a code reader to see what the computer is saying. A good trans shop should be able to help you. Don't drive it anymore except to the shop, as the problem could get worse or cause damage to the trans.

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Most likely the transmission is toast. This happened in our F-550 a month or so ago. While plowing my driver called and said the light was flashing. Took it to the dealer, they pulled the codes but could not get it to happen again. I pick up the truck and can feel the trans slipping, it also had almost nothing in reverse. Took it to the trans shop and had it rebuilt. My trans guy said the trans was real bad. The truck is an '01 and only has 23k miles.

Get it looked at asap.

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Sorry for your loss.

I have to agree with SCSIndust, and plowed. It is an indication of trans trouble.
    When the OD light flashes this is an indication of a transmission computer seeing a failure, it is just like when the check engine light comes on for the engine computer.

On the flip side it may be just a loose connection or bad sensor, but I doubt it.

My condolences...

5. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I agree with all the other guys. My 97 f350 crew cab dually PSD had the same problem this summer in Aug. Tranny was toast I put a re-man in from Ford it was $3,500 I think but it came with a 3 year 35,000 mile warranty. This is the second in two years for that truck. I made the mistake of having some guy rebuild it in Tennessee. It broke down the first time when I sent it down to pick up a trailer I bought at an auction. I should have just taken it to Ford in the first place but I tried to save money and it cost me a lot more in the end.

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem with my 1995. Both the trans was gone ($2,800.00 from BTS) and the torque converter ($900.00 from Sun Coast).

7. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

hold on guys (kiss) first check the wire plug going to the tranny a lot of times the salt eats away at the terminals. ford fixed the problem with a rubber boot on later trucks. also check or change out the speed sensor . cheap part. if that doesn't work then bring it to a good tranny shop . good luck

8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

You can try to change to change the vehicle speed sensor on the rear differential. It is cheap, about $25. Most likely you will get a sperate code for the VSS, but it's worth a try. The code for the VSS is P0720 - output speed sensor error.

9. E&B

E&B Member

First of all the sensor on the rear end has nothing to do with the tranny, its for the antilock brakes. Second, if the overdrive light is flashing it is due to a problem with the tranny. It could be something small or big you just don't know until you get it checked out. As far as the hard shifts, once you have a code come up the computer resets to factory settings and you will get harder shifts until the problem is fixed and the computer has time to learn your driving style again. Thats probably not the best way to word it but this stuff is all written in your owners manual.

10. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

I have a '99 PSD that has been doing that for over 3 years. It happens off and on sometimes with a trailer hooked to it and sometimes without. The only difference is that I loose my speedometer at the same time...I can usually just watch the RPMs to determine the speed I am going till I get to the next light. Once I turn the truck off and restart it it clears and it is fine. I would say it happens more often while towing. Funny thing is it has gone more than 60,000 miles since the problem started and has towed some heavy loads on a regular basis. I'm sure if I take it to a transmission guy he will say it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I have been waiting for it to break down for the last 3 years to squeeze every mile out of that transmission.

Maybe its only a wiring issue. It shifts fine except for OD which you have to engage yourself at high speeds.

11. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

My light has been flashing for a while..Took it to the dealer..did a trans fluid flush and now it is fine..they said most problems are from old fluid...as soon as I got the new stuff in, it is perfect...40k on it so far.

12. dmlandcare

dmlandcare Junior Member

Dont let everyones horror stories scare you if this happens to you. The Is just like the CEL, it can mean a lose wire, bad sensor or a shot torque convertor, I have the superchips programmer that can read codes. My od light was flashing the last few times i was out plowing, then the other night just drivin normal it came on my speedo wouldnt work and my cel came on, i shut the truck off and ran the test, codes were for the vehicle speed sensor and 4 wheel low switch, i cleaned up the vss and didnt worry much about the 4x4 error, haven had it come on since, and my trans is fine. I know how it is reading about a problem you have and then the first post you read says your screwed. it could be bad but probably somthing minor.

13. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Mine does this on occasion same truck same year if your is a HD like mine it has a OBDI reader in it and it is difficult to get codes from it even when in the shop.

With mine it is likely a bad sensor or wire that cuts in and out when it wants to but never all the time. If you shut the truck off it resets if you stop and idle for a short period like at a stop light it resets.

2 different shops have had the truck and neither can get it to happen when they have it. I also find that it happens more during the summer when it is hot out then now when it is cold and it never happens when I am plowing. This has been going on now for close to 2 years and the truck still runs fine.

14. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

My 01' F450 just started to do it on Saturday Night. I got about 75,000 miles on the truck and it had about 3 tons of salt with a blizzard plow on it. Never done it before. Seems to shift fine but studder in reverse alittle now and then. Havent had time to get in to the dealer but its going now.

15. dmlandcare

dmlandcare Junior Member

If the light flashes and the speedo reads zero or somthing else other than the correct mph its a probably a speed sensor problem, since its on the rear diff with most of us plowing or salting with these trucks, this connection could have all kinds of problems as well as the wires leading to it---sometimes my light flashes and the speedo still works but then it doesnt and after a while it will throw a cel light, then you can get a code from it. i use my superchips programmer with the 0bd2 reader. my abs light has also been on before this started happening and my abs no longer works, but plowing you are always using the abs because of the constant fast stopping on the snow and ice. the speed sensor is for the speedo and abs purposes from what i understand from searching the web, so these problems are related and the speed sensor is the answer. ............. plowing with out the abs is alot better in my opinion, but dont touch the brakes if you are goin 50 on a snow covered highway or you might get a little more sideways then you would like, and if you are lucky it will stay on the road

16. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

woo hoo! got lucky I guess. Just a bad shifting sensor. Dealer said its not a problem. Boy a down tranny would have been a kick in the b*lls for this season.

17. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I didn't know Ford put 5.4 in F250 in 97. I thought they were still using the 5.8 351w blocks in the F250hd's..

18. brockh

brockh Junior Member
    from PA

riper,
    i don't know if this was mentioned or not but here goes.... i had that happen on my truck and turned out to be a bad solenoid body. sounds like a inexpensive part right? no it cost me 600 to replace that little turd but it made the problem go away and its been good ever since. We had this happen to 2 of our work trucks and 1 coworker all the same problem. good luck

19. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

had the same prob

I had a 96 that did the same thing & it was the torque converter. My light started flashing with a 20,000 pound load of steel on the trailer so I thought it was done but I nursed it to the dealership & they changed the converter & never had any trouble again until around 250,000 miles & lost 2nd gear. I took it to a local shop & rebuilt tranny & updated converter for $1600 & it was better than ever.

20. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Not in the light duty 250 that was the first year for that style