1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford or dodge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by westernboy16, Nov 13, 2005.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

whats a better diesal fords 7.3 or the 6.0 diesal or the dodges cummings 5.9 for plowing or towing
    thanks guys and gals

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This is going to get ugly real quick!!:drinkup:
    The Cummings is the best:nod: if you want a coal burner..

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

its "diesel" and "cummins"...but i like the old 7.3

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

If you're too cheap to buy a Duramax, I would recommend the 7.3. Far better engine than the 6.0 reliability-wise. The Cummins is strong if you modify it, but stock they were bones up until around 02-03. The new Cummins is nice, and they finally figured out how to quiet them down so they dont sound like a train wreck. So, if you're looking used more than a couple years old go 7.3, new go Cummins.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 Dodge with 120,000 miles on it. Engine has been great. Transmission has been great also. I have spent a few thousand on the rest of the truck though. I tow 3 days a week in the cutting season and it pulls no problem.

I am not loyal to any one of the big three. I think they all make good trucks and you might get a lemon with any of them. I do feel that the seats in the Dodge are the best of the 3 and the leather is far better then the GM's. The new diesel's are a lot quieter then the older ones and the fuel mileage is also much better.

6. dirt digger

I always loved the sound of the old Cummins. Can't get anything that sounds like that anymore.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe a Kubota tractor dragging a 55 gallon drum full of nuts and bolts down a gravel road.

8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

LMAO!!!! It's true though, I too love the sound of the old 12v '98 vintage Cummins motors.

9. dirt digger

Its nice to know that people can hear you coming from a mile away...or better yet they can hear when you're plowing around them. With the sound of the old dodges theres no need for a lightbar..lol

10. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I think International makes the best Diesel.:dizzy: [​IMG]

11. dirt digger

i know that the old (1993 F-250) diesel has International on the engine block...do the new 6.0's still have the International name..or does it just say Powerstroke?

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

If I'm not mistaken, the 6.0 is Ford's attempt at a Diesel engine for their trucks, as their contract with International Harvesting expired.

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

no the 6.0 is still a international motor.

JMO I wouldnt buy a 6.0 ford. If I was buying new I would get a Chevy. If I was getting a few years old I would get a Chevy(01-present I would buy a chevy)If I was getting an older truck it would be a toss up between the Cummins and the ford. In stock form with an auto I would lean twards ford being a bit better truck overall. The 7.3 is a deccent motor(cummins is better) but enough to get the job done. The Cummins in older form is much easier and cheaper to fix though and cheaper to add HP too. The dodge trans is also a joke IMO but its easy enough to build them deccent with all the aftermarket call for em. I wouldnt get a ford 7.3 if you plan to try and up the HP though but if your not I would go with what ever truck you like better(btw dodge and ford) that you can get a good deal on.

14. tmleadr03

tmleadr03 Junior Member

For long life, get the Cummins 5.9 12 valve, or the Powerstroke 7.3. Those things are bullitproof. So if you can find one with about 200K on the clock they are still very much worth buying. Even the 24valve Cummins is an extremly good buy at 200K (though the maintenance gets a bit more expensive with the 24V) and these three engines will outlast the truck they are in if take care of.

I would take a 6.0 on a dare. They decressed the size of the engine, increses the compression and the amount of turbo to get more HP and Torque out of the 6.0 then the 7.3. So right off the bat you have a smaller engine that is being asked more of, not a good system. Ford has had a LOT of problems with the 6.0 and its abilities to do anything for any extent of time.

As for the Duramax, it really is coming into its own these days. While I am still a bigger fan of the Cummins, the D-Max really does kick some serious tail. I dont think it lasts anywhere as long as the Cummins, but you will really enjoy it while it does (figure about 300K from what I hear) and that Alison Trans can not be beat. I would love to mate one of those Alisons to my Cummins.

Side note: anyone hear about the Chevy 1500 with a V6 D-Max coming out in '07?

15. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

This is like the old Taste great /Less filling commercials! So Coors Light, Bud light, or Miller Light? There all the same a little differences here or there(enough of it and you will get a buzz and maybe a headache later). I own a Y2K 7.3 and love it, but I have owned and old 6.2 and she wasn't a bad ride either. If you asked about sled pulling--The Dodge Boys clean up on that, thankfully there's not a plowing competition or there would be serious trash talking going on here!

16. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

I would rather be cummin than stroke'n:p

17. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

cummins in whats left after the power stroke though haha:D