1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford or dodge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doyles, Feb 5, 2012.

1. doyles

doyles Member

i'am thinking about getting another 3/4 ton pickup truck for next winter and this is what i came to the 7.3 was fords best diesel how is there automatic transmission
    then there's the 5.9 cumin's diesel the best engine dodge ever and still has how are there transmission
    i will be looking for a truck between 2000 to 2004 extended cabs
    i know the ford 7.3 last year was 2003 and on the other side dodge's last year for the extended cab was 2002 then they went to the 4 regular doors
    if dodge transmissions are so bad does any one know why
    i want to put a 8.6 v plow on it
    thank you
    john

2. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

For Dodge get a 2003 or newer. Way better than 2002 and earlier models. We have one with 320,000 miles and still going strong. Its a daily work truck too. Automatic and diesel. Original transmission. Only had a lift pump and some u-joints replaced so far. We had a 02 Dodge diesel that was only 3/4 the truck as the 03. The 03 seemed tougher with a trailer. Better ride, and upgraded transmission and engine too.

3. 03sd

03sd Member

They are both good trucks Dodge has my vote I drive a Ford the next one will be a Cummins.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

From personal experience with Ford in general, my parents had an Explorer that blew the transmission when the car was 6 years old (under 80K Miles) and a F150 that had the engine explode at under 95K miles and only 5 years old.

We had a 2002 Dodge gasser that was a very nice truck, and I havent heard anything bad about the newer Dodge gassers or diesels from my neighbors who have a few for their excavation company.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm on I think Dodge #6 and have yet to lose a transmission yet-knock on wood. IMO the 47RE in the Dodge is more stout than the E4OD in the Ford-I've owned 2 fords with that tranny and really didn't like it, lost 1 TC in 1 of them. Personally I think the Dodge will ride better with the coil front suspension and the I6 Cummins is much easier to work on in case of a problem. They will both have front end issues and rust issues but there are some great deals to be had.

All in all they are both great trucks with great motors that will treat you well. Either choice will be a good one.

6. doyles

doyles Member

thank you i've had both brands but just not sure i think the cummins is a tried and true winner just like the 7.3 but who wants to spend 15 grand on a old 7.3 pick up
    plowguy43
    right now i have a 2000 dodge 2500 extended cab with a v10 the truck has 285/75r16 and driving 62-63 the tach reads 2100
    and i now the speedo is off i think it has 4.11 gears
    the problem is around town i average 7.8 on the computer
    what do you get out of your truck i probably need a tune up

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I know this post doesn't pertain to your question but could you consider using punctuation in your posts? They run on and on. It makes you look like a kid posting on here.

8. doyles

doyles Member

i will try in the future.
    sorry.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm just saying. It makes it much easier to read your posts. No need to apologize.

I'm a GM guy so it would be hard to make a decision on the two trucks. I do like the 7.3l engines Ford used.

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've owned 2 cummins dodges.

I've owned a few gas fords.

I can tell you from experience, that the older mechanical 12V dodge pickups get WAY BETTER fuel mileage than any gas vehicle I've ever owned.

When I have my summer tires on my truck, I average over 20mpg. When I put my snow / mudders on I'm about 16MPG. When I plow, I'm getting 12MPG.

I'm sure someone can chime in on the Fords.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

7.3 are good engines and are priced the way they are for a reason.... They are the best engine in a Ford!! Sure don't make a ton of power but will get the job done.

As for the Cummins... Simple, good on fuel and EZ to work on. As for 98.5-02's these years are OK but not the cream of the crop. Mileage goes to the older 12valvers and power mileage to the 06-07 trucks. As for the trans they are all good but programers and heavy foots will destroy anything behind the I6 diesels. Inspect the power band of the 5.9 and you will understand why the trans fail as much as they do.

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Buy you one with a Manual

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I agree that Manual transmissions are more stout than Automatics... and a whole lot more fun to drive..... except......

When in traffic or plowing snow.

Personally, I hate having a stick while plowing, as it just adds several more movements to the process. The auto works best for me, as the controller is located on the front of my dash, and I can just reach it with my fingers while shifting the auto. Much easier, IMO.

14. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

I'm biases but, I say go with the Dodge. if you can get a 94-98.5 with the 12V Cummins, that would be your best bet. easy to work on and all it takes is a hammer and a flat blade screwdriver to add more power ( No, I'm not joking).

As for the tranny problems, all MFGS have their issues. My best suggestion to that, go with what I posted above and then make sure your service the tranny regularly. get a good set of guages (Tranny Temp, boost, EGT) Heat is the worst thing for the trannys. In the Dodge, remove the check ball in the tranny line and make sure the tranny cooler fins are clear of any obstructions. Add a high capacity tranny pan for more fluid. I just traded in my 97 2500 CTD back in 2010 with over 167K on the clock with the original tranny in it and it was as strong that day as it was the day it came out of the factory.

If the trany does go, DON'T take it to any of those franchise rebuilders. Get a Trany for it that is built right and built for your application such as a Goerend transmission. Think of it as a Ronco rotissary grill, set it and forget it.

http://www.goerend.com/transmissions.php

:mechanic:

15. doyles

doyles Member

this are the opions i whanted to here. thank you guys for all your input.
    hopefully we will all have a great profitable summer.
    i do hope next winter treats us better.

16. doyles

doyles Member

this are the opinions i wanted to here. thank you guys for all your input.
    hopefully we will all have a great profitable summer.
    i do hope next winter treats us better.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hard to tell really, I don't drive it much besides plowing so all of my mileage is with plow on and ballast in the back + plowing. I have 265/70/17's on steel wheels from an 04 Ram 2500, and my tires are very aggressive (Goodyear Wrangler Authority's). My computer reads 8mpgs while configured this way. The sweet spot for the V10 mpg's is similar to the Cummins, needs to be around 1500-1700RPM. I'd definitely suspect you have 4.11's in your truck if your already turning 2100RPM's with 285's on it.

A few things I've found about the V10- they go through Cats pretty quick, thermostat's go (which is why I believe the cats go as well), and they are chocked up stock. They only have a 2 1/2" pipe for the exhaust, my stock HEMI had a 3" exhaust and is much smaller of a motor.

I plan on doing this - Y pipe into a 3" Single Cat Converter (don't care of the brand), and a stock HEMI Muffler and tail pipe (can both be bought from Rockauto for around $100 shipped for both muffler and tailpipe) because I don't want it any louder. Then I plan on getting an SCT Tuner for $265 which I've read makes the V10 a completely different animal. I may possibly get a new throttle body for it but I'm up in the air. These motors are restricted pretty bad in the intake manifold but there is no aftermarket except for swapping to a Viper intake manifold which is not a direct bolt on.

Sorry to go on and on, but in your case I'd definitely do a tuneup first - new plugs and 02 sensors.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  18. doyles

doyles Member

thanks for the info plowguy. in the spring i will do a tune up. i never thought about changing the o2 sensors when i do a tune up.then when i can i will do the exhaust,
    probably just a cat back.
    thanks again

19. rubbertrack

rubbertrack Junior Member

I have a 99 F550 that i've been plowing with for 4 years now, hauls 5-6 ton of material all summer. Its got a 9' western and 3.5 yard byers vbox , 4.88 gears and 180k. You couldnt give me one of those rattle trap Dodges, good motor but thats it.