1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford or Chevy????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hatch Ent, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatch Ent

Hatch Ent Junior Member

Hey guys I am an owner of a window cleaning company and am looking to set up some 1/2ton trucks to push resi's in the winter. I know that a 1/2ton is not the best for polwing, but to make the trucks interchangable in the spring for window trucks I have to go light. Well what I am asking is "Is a Chevy 1500 better than a F150?, eather one will be extended cab/crew cab.
    I have a 3/4ton dodge with a 8' spreader for the heavy commercial stuff but would appreciate the help on the smaller trucks.

Thanks

Hatch Ent.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I use a 1/2ton chevy. Not sure what years your looking at but the obs (88-98/99) are tough trucks. I abuse mine and it still is ticking right along.

3. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

great way to start a war.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. If anyone cares, I'll take butter on my popcorn, I'll be in the backrow watching.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

best is Dodge 1500 which have solid axle I think year 96-03 but I am not expert with dodge.

F150 and Chevy 1500's suspension not that great but it would plow fine.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

WAIT! WAIT!!
    Did I read that right???! Mil said a Dodge would be best compared to a Ford?

Alright, continue on everyone else.

7. Milwaukee

You have problem with that?

If F150 have solid axle instead TTB

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

No, it just came as a surprise.
    I was expecting something about GM frames cracking.

Doesn't the newer f150's have ifs similar to GM stuff? I thought the TTB was the older F150's from the mid 90's.

9. Milwaukee

yes it almost exact but more beefy but not strong for have 900 pound on it. I thought he want buy old truck

if it was me I would have choose F250 with solid axle.

Hatch Ent
    are you plan buy new truck?

10. Hatch Ent

Hatch Ent Junior Member

yes I could buy a new truck, but i don't think the F250 would be that great of a Window cleaning truck. in and out driving about 140 miles a week. way bad on gas. if I don't buy new it will be early 2000's on any truck

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

either one will be fine. just get whatever one your have a good feeling about

12. bosman

bosman Senior Member

Come on man, really, chevy or ford, here we go again......I'll help sum up the rest of the replies...."my chevy is better than your ford"...or..."my ford is better than your chevy".....or "buy a dodge." Make up your own mind, just buy AMERICAN and what ever you do don't buy one of these.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4

ussmileyflagussmileyflagussmileyflag

13. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

Every truck has its pro's and con's. I've owned fords and dodges and driven many chevys. If you're going to buy used, you never know what you're getting into. Some people treat their trucks like cr@p. I would suggest buying new, which ever truck you test drive and feel the best about. And whichever suits your budget the best. at least then you get warranty. Whichever truck in YOUR opinion, looks better, feels better, handles better, etc. I agree with SOSite and Mark13, you're just going to get people claiming they have bigger balls than the next person.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If your are only driving 140 miles a week I wouldnt think fuel mileage would be a real big deal

Go with the 3/4

15. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

FORD..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why? because I said so...:salute:

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

:rolleyes: Fixed. lol

17. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Mark your an Idiot...

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Who cares what brand you buy?
    Maintain it correctly and and it will work for whatever you plan to do with it.

Hopefully this post won't get deleted like my other one.
    This is a FORUM.....thought you could post an opinion......if someone doesn't agree with it then they sure don't have to read it.

19. Dejana Dorian

Dejana Dorian Member

You said you are going to set up "some" trucks.. More then 1? Save yourself a lot of money and head ache (short term and long term), buy 2-3 year old F250's or 2500's and put blades on them. Don't use a 1/2 ton for 3/4 ton application. Your employees will abuse them and you need to get a truck that can handle it. If it was only one truck for yourself, the owner/operator, you will handle your equipment better then your yahoo's, with less maintenance.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

How so? Because I had a little fun with an edit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.