1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford or Chevy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brando55, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Brando55

Brando55 Member

Hey guys

I have been looking at a new truck and was just wondering what your opinions are on them. There is a 2006 F350 reg cab. single rear wheels with the 5.4 v8 and 19000 kms, a 2004 gmc 2500 crew cab long box with 6.6 duramax and a 2003 f250 crew cab with the 6.0 powerstroke. Which of these trucks would be the best for plowing? also is a gas or diesel better in any ways?

Thanks

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go with a diesel for plowing. I've driven a 5.4 powered f250 and I thought it was gutless, I'm sure the f350 will be the same way. I've plowed with a 6.0 ford and it had good power but those motors are a 50/50 shot when you buy one. You will either get a good motor, or its going to suck there is no middle ground. I'm a GM guy so I'd say go with the dmax/allison combo of the 3/4ton gmc.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I dont like Fords anymore after my 6.0 Powerstroke nightmare, I would'nt use a crew cab long box for plowing, so....?? I think you have to know what your going to use it for. For a couple driveways or parking lots, diesel is definetaly not justified.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't touch that 2003 Ford 6Leaker with a ten foot pole.

Also agree that a crewcab is awful long for plowing but it depends on what you need it to do.

Given the choice I'd take the GMC hands down if a CC will work for your purposes. The Ford 5.4 will work too but for heavy work it will be a turd. If you only do occasional heavy work (towing etc) maybe its a good compromise.

5. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I had a '05 GMC 3500 SRW SLT extended cab/long bed w/the Duramax, which I loved, but it was a POS. It had computer problems, trans issues, suspension problems, and hubs that wore out after 4000 miles. As I said, I loved the truck, but I never thought about putting a plow on it, I just didn't trust that it would last.

I traded the '04 GMC in on a '07 F250 XL standard cab/long bed w/the 6.0l Power Stroke. I miss a lot about the GMC - the ride quality was better, much quieter, better fuel economy, but I have not once worried about being stranded w/the Ford. The Ford was an unstoppable beast this past winter (approx 120" snow). The turning radius is MUCH better w/the Ford, and it has a ligher front end, so you can go w/an 8' plow. The fuel economy is worse - 17mpg w/the GMC vs 12mpg w/the Ford (summer, empty bed, highway driving), but then again, you don't buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to get good fuel economy!

As far as what truck for you to get, it's all about which truck fits you the best. Since you aren't looking at new trucks, you also need to look at vehicle condition. Personally speaking, I wouldn't buy a used plow truck unless I knew the person selling it. A lot of guys out there beat the crap out of their vehicle plowing, and you are potentially opening yourself up to a lot of headaches down the road.

Are you going to be plowing driveways, or large, open lots? If it's driveways, you'd be better off w/a standard cab. Are there sharp turns that you'd have to plow? Again, go w/a standard cab.

Gas vs Diesel is a tough one. A lot of guys swear by their gas trucks, and a lot swear by the diesel ones. Diesels tend to last a lot longer, and hold a bit more of their value, but you will also pay a lot more to buy them. I don't know what the fuel prices are where you are, but here diesel is over $1.00 more per gal. than regular gas, so any increase in MPG is eaten up by the cost difference in the fuel.

Good luck!

Evan

6. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

You will hate the CC Long bed plowing.

My old boss had the same rig with the Dmax/Allison combo and it was a powerhouse, but it was a PITA to maneuver anywhere. This is it:

Duramax.jpg

Even my truck is a pain sometimes to move around, but still a hell of a lot better than his.

I dont like fords, but they are better with a plow with the solid front end and leafs, but being a guy, I wouldnt be able to neuter myself down to the level of driving a 5.4L truck for a work truck, and like said before, i wouldnt take my chances on the 6.0 diesel.

I think you need to keep looking, but out of the 3, Id go with the GM

Duramax.jpg

7. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 100% I have a CC with the short bed, and it is a pain too. My next PLOW truck would be a 3/4 or 1 ton reg cab. D Max. Also, I cant imagine using 4 wheel with a long truck. :dizzy: I would go with Chevy/ GMC. I was looking for mine last year and it was between the GM and the Ford. I went with the GMC and i am very happy so far. I have heard horror stories with Ford, but then again you hear bad stuff about every truck. But the most important thing is, go with diesel. You wont be sorry. They have alot of power, with the weight of the blade plus wet heavy snow. It pushes like it was nothing. Good luck with your choice, keep use posted.

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My Duramax has been great. If someone stole it, I buy a new one in a heartbeat.

9. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Well give me your address and Ill come take it, and you can go get yourself a new one

:bluebounc

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

lol...lojack would find it. Well I hope so because it kind of personalized now. It would be a PIA making one that I can say is mine. :cry:

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Back when extended cabs were first coming into popularity (early 90's), short beds were only 10" longer than reg cab long bed (don't know if things have changed at all). They make great plow trucks, but certainly not as good for tight spaces as Tahoes or short bed reg cabs.

12. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I have had an F-250 reg cab long box with a 5.4 since it was new in 2005 pushing an 8-2 boss V. I have no problems with this truck my only advice would be get the 4.30 gears. Mine has 3.54 gears and lacks a little when pulling our skidder. Also you have a larger plow selection with the lighter gas engine.

13. K1500 4x4

K1500 4x4 Senior Member

id get the duramax but it being a crew cab long box it could be hard to plow in tighter areas.

14. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

I've had 6 D-maxs for plowing. The CC does suck. I traded my personal one in after 5 months of frustration and a few bumps. In other words I hated it. I went back to a Excab and I'm happy again.

No major issues with the motor or drive train on any of them. Great power and better economy.

One other potential issue is the D-max/Allison combo will only go 18mph in reverse. Slow compared to a gasser in bigger lots. But it's will keep the operator out of trouble.:help:

15. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

The F350 would be better then the other two because of the beefier springs. The other trucks have the diesel engine so that makes them better then the gas truck. Just make sure the truck has the plow prep package on it.