1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford or Chevy Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ramair2k, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Brand new 2012 F-350 XLT Supercab (full door with partial in rear) comes with Fisher 8' HD straight blade MM2, MSRP 42k. Probably can get it for a bit less than that.

Brand new 2012 Chevy 2500HD, NO PLOW, Work truck, Ext cab MSRP 38k. I dont tow anything, I dont plow commercially, yet, this would mainly be for a few driveways of family and what not. My dad also works for the local DPW and possibly plowing with them so I definetely want to stick with a HD truck with 8ft blade.

I am asking which truck is more worth it at its current price point. My oppinion, I can get the F-350 for only, gonig by MSRP, 4k more with Plow as the Chevy has no plow and will probably cost me 5-6k to put one on. The Ford also has XLT package as oppose to the Chevy's work truck package. I dont need leather, or anything special...its a truck but IMHO the Ford may offer more for the money. What do you guys think??
  2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Sound like ford to me.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to get near $10k off sticker, then work the plow deal on both. I like the 6.2 better then the 6.0 so id go Ford but your getting an awesome truck either way.
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Yep, I would work both deals, try and a get a plow on the chevy, should be able to get the chevy cheaper, but the ford may suit you better in a few years when the XLT will have benifits to the bare bones interior of the chebby.....either way get the plow with the truck, warranty will be easier ti deal with in 5,6,10 years as it came with truck.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ford is very aggresive with pricing right now. Except for used Dodges
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go Ford. I did!
  7. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Chevy dealer emailed me back and said 32k for the 2500HD. That includes rebates, and all dicounts, but again, without the blade. The truck also has power windows, doorlocks and mirrors. 6.6ft bed with roof clearance lights, 4x4, snow plow prep. The interior is very plain on the chevy, but Its a truck, not an audi.
  8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Way different suspension difference, even though I'm a bias ford guy you will honestly be much happier with the 350.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you say happier do you mean changing U-joints and ball joints more frequently?
  10. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Due to the solid front on the Ford vs. the independent on the Chevy?
  11. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

ford all the way
  12. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The new Chevys hold a plow just as well as a Ford and rides 10 times better every other day of the year . And they dont get death wobble EVER.
  13. plowguy43

Any truck holding a plow is going to wear front end parts out, go with the best deal and/or truck you like better.
    I think Chevy has a better warranty 5/100k drivetrain.
  14. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Its mentioned above that the dealer emailed me saying that they would let the truck go for 32k. How much do you think I can get it with the plow included? They said they use JC. Madigan in Lancaster for the plows.

I would love an Fisher Straight X blade, but i am sure the cost for that is out of my range so will probably price it out with standard 8' MM2 HD blade.
  15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind Mass's 1 ton regulations. My buddy in Mass just bought an F250 over a 350 for just that very reason. My neighbor recently bought a 2012 Chevy 1500. He does nothing but complain about it.
  16. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

I have 7 trucks, age is from 2008-2012. I did run fords but back in 2009 I got a GMC (same as chevy more or less) and after running that winter and comparing fuel usage and down time the GMC came out on top. I now only have one ford and if we get a good winter this year that will be gone soon. All the trucks I have are diesel and we run the Fisher 9"6 V-Plow on all of them. Now that GM has changed the front end even with the 9"6 plow it doesn't dip down like the older GM trucks. Even the older truck we spent $250.00 and put a Ready Lift in the front and that fixed the front end problems.

Ford rides hard, keeping the fronts together is $1500.00 or more every other year. The oldest GM truck I have is the 2009 and with all the GMC we had we have never done anything to the front end other then grease it and a four wheel alignment each year.

All the trucks are regular cabs with 8 foot beds diesel with the fisher 9"6 V-Plows with spreaders.
    Also the GM 6.6 diesel has been problem free and the ford 6.4 I have sucks but is better then the 6.0 we had before...
  17. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

Chevy all the way Thumbs Up
  18. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Built Ford tough
  19. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Get the two dealers fighting for your business. "this is the all in Ford price, beat it" and vise versa
    Paying cash? If not, what are the interest rates 1 vs the other?
    then onto the small things.
    Do they both have **** tires stock? One may have a street tire vs an AT tire. needing tires for one vs the other is another $1000 to factor into your comparison.
    Bed liners vs spray in, etcetc.
  20. plowguy43

See my quote above. payup

They aren't going to show their cards up front. Walk in, Offer $28k for their truck and walk out if they haggle. Wait for their call because they will call. A dealer north of me (Augusta Maine) always has sales this time of year and offer an Installed HD 7'6" or 8' Fisher Plow for $1999 if you buy a truck from them. They sell Chevy and GMC if you'd like their contact info.

Also, you may want to check out Dodge as they have deep discounts now as well and generally have more content for less money than chevy/ford. BUT they don't have an extended/quad cab anymore which stinks, only a Crew Cab and MegaCab.