1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Oil Pan Rusting

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Timbercrk1, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

I have a 2000 ford F350 diesel and the oil pan is starting to rust pretty bad especially in one of the bottom corners. Any suggestions?

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

save up $1500 i'm in the same boat.

3. Timbercrk1

Timbercrk1 Member

Anything u can put on it to slow it down. How about a rubberized compound? Or a paint or something?

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yea sell it and buy a Chevy.:nod: Or you can buy some paint called POR 13, works great use right over rust. Do a google search and have it shipped right to your house.

Regards Mike

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, it's POR15 and I've heard mixed reviews on it. This is a known problem with Ford oil pans, because they are using junk steel to make them. There is member who doesn't visit here often who had a fleet of Fords and also has an automotive repair shop that has a good fix for this problem, as long as it isn't weeping too bad yet.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yea Mark you are right it is POR 15. I have not used it in about a year. My memory is not what it use to be.

Regards Mike

7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

when i go 4 wheeling carry some water weld . its an expoy that you can put over most of anything even if its leaking . its a only temp i'd sugguest saving up unless you want to pull the engine out and go it yourself

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid Film will help slow it down. Coat the pan after each oil change with fluid film too.
    If you have the pan replaced make sure to fluid film that too. Ford still uses the same crappy steal so the new ones will rot too.
    POR 15 wont fix it if it is to far gone.

9. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

Just sandblast all the rust off, prime it and paint it. Is the rust really close to the drain plug on the oil pan, thats where mine is. $1500 also sounds a bit over priced.

10. Mark Oomkes

Not when you have to pull the engine to do it.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buy a Dodge:jester:

POR 15 works well but using it on the outside it won't seal leaks. Have had good results coating the interior of gas tanks on vintage cars and M/Cs with it, stops weeps and encapsulates the rust. If you're pulling the engine, replace the pan and Pro 15 the new one before installing

12. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

That your problem right there. If your mechanic is pulling up the engine to do it, he's wrong, that's the slow ass way. Pulling down the tranny is much more efficient and saves a lot of time. My mechanic told me $800.

13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the $1500 quote i got was from a Ford dealership.... i've never heard of pulling the tranny. i'll mention that to the dealer, thanks

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If it's within warranty limits does Ford change the oil pan for free or do they blame it on being a plow vehicle and not warranty it. You think they would come out with an updated pan.

15. Mark Oomkes

My scumbag dealer would not replace mine under warranty because I was over it by 1 month. Never mind I've bought 6 trucks from them. My last one did not come from them, and they now get a minimal amount of my warranty work and NONE of my elective maintenance\repairs. My Dodge dealer warranted a tranny that was 2K out of warranty for my once. Needless to say, I was a bit perturbed.

On the updated pan, one would think that would be the intelligent thing to do, wouldn't one?

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When it comes to warranty, it's all about the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I have a 95 F150, and i just replaced mine. I was lucky my friend was a mechanic. He replaced the pan, my rusted out motor mounts for under $400. That included parts. Ford had to go and run the y-pipe under the pan.:confused:

18. Don't be a fool and buy a chevy or a dodge, they are both JUNK!! Oil pan repair will run about $300.00 if you do it yourself.

19. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 2002 Excursion 7.3 diesel. It was 5 years old and about 2 months past the warranty. With only 60k on the odometer my oil pan began to rot. At first the dealer said it was due to the plow that was installed, I told them that the plow was only 1 year old and we haven't had more than two snow falls anyway... I was quoted $2000 for the fix I complained and they finally took care of it. I had bought quite a few trucks from them. I got lucky. But it is a pain to fix the pan on the diesel. I asked 3 mechanics all at different shops they all said that the engine must come out. There's a cross member in the way. Good Luck....

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't have said it better myself. BTW A good dealer does make the difference, why are some so hard to deal with and it doesn't matter which kind of truck you have.