1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford lock out hubs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowtime1, Sep 2, 2009.

1. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Looking for OEM'S but not the price;quoted $300.00 each from Ford..with corporate discount. :dizzy: Thanks for the assistance ussmileyflag

2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Well, if you can live with used:

www.car-part.com

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

You need the outer locking part? I didn't think they were that expensive but I went with the warn hubs. And eliminated the vacum bs. The warns are only $150 for the pair.

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Great site-thanks. :drinkup:

5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

If you go with the warn does that eliminate the switch in the cab?? I guess it depends on what year , mines a 2001, you have, but how do you us the 4 low, do you just turn the switch and lock them in instead of free on the hubs?? My auto has intermittent vacuum leak that the dealer can't locate and i am thinking about going to the warns instead of the "auto" feature since i plow in lock anyways!

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why not just manually lock in the hubs you have?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Manually locking them is the only way to go with the "auto" hubs.

8. cretebaby

What do you mean?

9. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

He means that on the Ford hubs there is a auto or a lock option. Mainly you can have them 100% locked or you can have them only lock when they slip. When plowing the only way i found it easiest was to put them in lock.

10. cretebaby

I thought when in auto they came on when you put it in 4WD.

11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thank you for the response everyone! thats a useful site! digging deeper and going with the OEM's.

thanks again!

12. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Not a prob, it's saved me on more than one occaison. The 4wd shifters in the F-350 are known to seize over time. Mine did, and I forced it trying to break it free. Well it broke alright, cast piece snapped in two. New ones up here in Canada run around $800! :help:

Found one via Car-Part in California, shipped it was $75 (they made a mistake on it's value but honored it anyway). It's helped in finding old Mercedes parts too...

13. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thanks Dellwas,

Sheez... $800.00!
    I found a used one as well in Maine...I will be purchasing this one for under $100.00;
    this will be a back-up!

Thanks again.

14. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

No prob.

Got the one from California and first thing I did was disssamble it and load it with nevrseize. I'm thinking now I should have drilled and tapped it and put in a grease nipple. Food for thought?

15. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

If your ESOF system is working then when you flip the switch to 4wd then they lock in. The ESOF system is junk and highly unreliable so most just lock them in. I've had two used Ford trucks and neither systems have worked. GM has the 4wd Auto that engages when the wheels slip.

16. cretebaby

I have never had an issue with mine. :cool: