1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford LCF / Meyers 1st Test

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NE.MCH, Dec 18, 2007.

1. NE.MCH

NE.MCH Junior Member
    from Ma.

Ok Guys as promised I said I would give you some honest updates on how the new set up has worked......Well Last Thurs was the first test....14hrs straight...at first it was all light and fluffy....then we got some rain...and it got pretty messy and heavy.....then back to wet snow...all in all about 8-10". Then again on Sun 8hrs wet and heavy then Rain...about 6in.
    First here is how the truck did......I initailly had 0 ballast with the plow on (as I was driving to where my loader was to add some) and needless to say the truck was an absolute joke. The highway tread tires and 0 weight = 0 traction:nono:. But I got to the loader and threw in about 2500lbs of stone......much better. Turning capability and visibility was awsome as to be expected with a cab forward truck....after about 7hrs my back started to hurt....not much room for seat adjustment:(...maybe I need a lumbar cushion....I also got a little annoyed with my mirrors....they stick out alot but that was not the problem.....they kept icing up:mad:...need to find out how to heat them. Other than my back and my mirrors the truck did very well...in 14hrs I went through about $100 in fuel...not too bad.
    Now the Meyers V.......first off the plow needs a foil.....with my truck set up it just needs one...so thats that. It pushes very nicely and the controller took me an hour to get comfortable with....as it got icy the thing scraped very well ...as it is a heavy SOB......as far as back blading I was not too impressed but this is the first V I have ever done so with, so I really have no comparison. The alien looking lights actually worked pretty damn good, lit everything up and I don't think I ever used the high beam. Now I will say this about the Meyers ......seriously it can stack like no plow I have ever used....maybe it is a combination of the plow and the truck.....but damn it can stack almost like a loader ...no kidding. With it being a vee the position options are just about endless...move left or right wing whatever way you want or both...I found it well worth the additional $ over a straight plow...don't think I will ever own another straight plow.
    So there you have it .....my initail review of the new setup...I'll give it a B+....as far as durability ...well we will see about that.:salute:
  2. dlcmike

dlcmike Junior Member
    from Denver

Same results

I agree with your assessment of the LCF and the Meyer V. I didn't want to comment until I saw your assessment, I did not want to shade your opinion. This is our second season with ours and we already replaced the rear tires with snow tires (it does help). Weight in the rear is by far the most important factor, I think we use about 3500 lbs. Don't even go out without added weight. The turning radius is what saves a ton of time for us, at the end of a street you can just whip a U turn, no backing or 3 point turns. You can order with limited slip rear end, ours does not have this option. I am sure it would help.
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have a Chevy W4500. It did everything that you mentioned above. It plow nice with a load in the back, Hurts your back if you are in it to long. Great visiblity, Turns great, But spins out with regular road tires.

I am impressed with my fuel comsumtion. We run this truck the most because we sand with it. So it stays out longer in a plowable event. We are able to fill it up and run it 1.5 to 2 time longer than my F250's.

I will also agree with your grade. B+ as well

4. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Thanks for your time spent sharing.

I have to tell you I am becoming more interested in makeing the move to upfit my L45 LCF.

My thought has always been the LCF would make a GREAT salt truck. I love the Landscaper bed during the green season and not sure what type of spreader I would go with.

Does anyone now of a Central Hydro set up for the V6 PSD??? I have asked two local upfitter and they both say there is NO bolt on hydro kit for this engine. When I bought my 1st 6.0 I was also told there was no bolt on for a Dual Alt, and now my 07 F-550 with Dual alt has central Hyrdo. So I have be waiting to see is this happen for the V6.

If that does not pan out and I need to put this truck into service I will be doing a Downester all electric 4 yard V box. I can take the sides and rear off the Landscaper bed and just be left with a flat bed to mount the V box but would much rather have a Hydro V box.

As for plowing I think I would have to look hard at finding an upgraded seat option as I hardly can drive that truck for more than an hour or so even with the reclinable drivers seat. Add the fact it is hard enough finding someone to drive a P/U without crashing it I have to wonder how they would do with the LCF plowing and salting.

Lastly, if I am going to mount a plow my first choice would be a Blizzard 8611LP but I have not seen the new Meyer V. Maybe I will wait to see what grade NE gives for durabilty as the season wears on.

Ron G.
  5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

The last 2 storms I was out for 22 hours each and used 16 gallons each storm
  6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I was quoted $5700.00 for a new Fisher 8' SS Expandable today. I waste several hours chasing trailing snow in my commerical lots and larger drives each storm. I started out with all residental drives and the straight 8' worked fine, but now its time for an upgrade.
  7. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Well if oyu look at my equipment list you can see I own 6 Blizzard all total as I alsohave a 8611 Skid Steer Plow on my New Holland 180.

If you are serious about an expandable plow and plow commercial give the BLIZZARD a hard look and compare the construction of both. I am not saying the Fisher and Western Expandables will not work I am just saying the Blizzard plows are built much tougher. Larger rams, thicker box construction, twice the size quad and A frame. Blizzard is well worth the investment for commercial large lot plowing.

Ron G.