1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford ignition switch removal

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gusdust, Oct 3, 2010.

1. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Several months ago there was a post on one of the forums on how to remove a ford ignition switch, put tape over the contacts to delete the annoying interior warning beeper. I did it, works fine. But lately I have trouble getting the switch in to accessory mode. So I tried to remove the switch with no luck. Could the tape be preventing me from getting it out? I can't seem to find the detent when putting my punch into the hole. Key in on position, correct? Any ideas? I have done a search on a few forums but can't find it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Ignition Switch
    Removal and Installation

Depower the supplemental restraint system (SRS). For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B .
    CAUTION: Use care when removing the instrument panel steering column cover (04459) or damage to the cover locating tab may occur.

On F-250 - F-550 vehicles, remove the instrument panel steering column cover.
    Unlock the retainers.
    Remove the instrument panel steering column cover.

If equipped, remove the tilt wheel handle.

Remove the lower steering column shroud.
    Remove the screws.
    Remove the lower steering column shroud.

Disconnect the ignition switch electrical connector.
    Remove the electrical connector bolt.
    Disconnect the electrical connector.

Remove the ignition switch.
    Remove the screws.
    Remove the ignition switch.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

3. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder — Functional
    Removal and Installation

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
    Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder (11582).
    Insert the ignition key and turn to the RUN position.
    Using a 1/8-inch drift, press the ignition switch lock cylinder release pin through the access hole while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

SYO~us~en~file=GG0795A_gif~gen~ref.gif

4. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Thanks. I thought I was doing it that way but ran out of patience. Maybe best to leave it and come back later. Thanks again.