1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford HELP please!!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by G.McNeill&Son, Oct 31, 2010.

1. G.McNeill&Son

G.McNeill&Son Member

Good morning. I have 2 Ford trucks with the same problem. One is a F250 2004 gas & the other is a F350 2005 diesel dump. Both trucks are having the same front end problem. When stopping the front end shakes and the brakes pulse pretty bad. I did the brakes last year and it stopped for a while but then started again. I checked the pads on both and they are fine. The routers were spun on one when I did the brakes. I have no idea why this keeps happening. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Have you done ball joints recently? Front axle seals may not be seated correctly. You may also have warped rotors.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Could possible be tie rod ends if they have play in them?

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am with FordFisherman. I had the same problem with my 02 and did the ball joints, axle u-joints and the swaybar end link bushings.
    T.J.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

do the trucks have front ABS? a pulsing pedal may be caused by a bad sensor incorrectly sensing wheel lock up.

6. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

caliper slides could be stuck. It is very common.

7. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I would have your rotors checked first, see if they are warped, check your pads see if the are worn evenly or not, then check and see if you have a caliper freezing up on you, go with this before replacing the most expensive parts. Ive had alot of problems with my callipers, theirs 2 bolts that hold the calliper to the truck, well theirs also 2 sliders in their and they seize up, they have caused my vibrations, heat them up sand them dopwn and throw some anti sieze and your good

8. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

If you machine warped rotors, you have now made them thinner and lighter, so they will now get hotter and heat up more quickly causing even worse warpage. This is what causes the brake pedal to pulsate during braking. Warped rotors are to be replaced NOT machined.

9. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Sounds like warped rotors, buy new ones from ford, they will last longer and hold up better to brake happy drivers better than aftermarket.

10. Carriage House

Carriage House Junior Member

Another common ford problem is the wheel bearings. They are a sealed bearing and have to be replaced as a unit. They are known to go quickly but relatively easy to swap yourself with a little patience and a lot of swearing. Buy the tapered bearing if at all possible there a bunch of different combinations too... ABS vs. non, course threads vs. fine etc...

These are heavy trucks and the front end usually needs attention. Any symptoms can be a variety of things and can feel very strange behind the wheel.

11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Warping rotors are VERY rare. What we think of as warped rotors is typically a build-up of pad material that is deposited by leaving your foot on the brakes after a hard stop. But this kind of beside the point though.

Ford trucks are notorious for brake problems. Especially trucks that are used hard. Based off of my research on other Ford forums, Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads seem to be the most reliable for stopping these trucks without the typical "warping" problems.

12. gtstang462002

Ford trucks are not notorious for brake problems, warped rotors typically come from people who drive with 2 feet. One on the gas and one on the brake(my wife is a good example of that). I have yet to see this build up of "pad material" being deposited on rotors, unless there was another issue such as soaked brake linings. Rotors will warp if they are machined too thin. I have also had brand new aftermarket rotors that were not true from the store(most likely due to improper storage).

13. G.McNeill&Son

G.McNeill&Son Member

Im thinking it is a combination of wrapped rotors and calibers sticking from all the info ive read. Ive had the caliber's stick before and it is a cheap fix. I checked ball & cv joints and everything seems tight. The truck only has 25,000 miles but they are hard miles will sanding,plowing,hauling machines and construction material. Thanks for the import,Ill keep you posted

14. gtstang462002

That is probably what did you in right there, especially if the trailer brakes were not functioning 100%.

15. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

I thought chevy was FAMOUS for their braking troubles, esp rear brakes??...but besides the point...
    head down the road really slow and apply light light pressure to brake pedal. If you feel the brake giving you feedback and pushing your foot back up then in, back up, etc, I would damn near call that warped rotors. svt contour does it exactly as you describe and it has new balls, new rod ends, but pads/rotors "looked" good when I bought it. MY FAIL. Granted it's a car, but many things are the same, the just last longer w/ less weight....Sometimes.
    Let us know what you find !

Maybe jack her up and listen to see if you have pad contact then none.....

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would make sure they were greased in the right places. With my old Wagner system Ford. I would clean and grease the front brakes spring and Fall. The rotors should not warp. Trucks have a lot of meat built in on rotors so they can be turned.If you keep having trouble I would invest in a dial indicator.So you can check your own rotors and replace the ones with too much run out. A lot of shop's will replace all the parts so you don't come back.

17. gtstang462002

They also have a minimum specification stamped right into the rotor. When that is reached you need to throw them away. This is why it is called a discard number.

18. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

do you tow the same trailer with both trucks???? if so i would be checking the electric brakes on the trailer

19. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

do yourself a favor and throw the stock rotors into the scrap pile..ive had good luck with the duralast rotors. cheap and 2yr warranty

20. gtstang462002

I have had duralast rotors warped right out of the box.