1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford headlights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Big Dog D, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 05 F-350 and I always though that the factory head lights were nice and bright. Well I bought a new 06 Expedition for my wife and after driving that at night more and more I find that I always seem like that when I am driving my truck that it produces about 1/2 the light and only reaches about 1/2 the distance that the Expy does?

Does anybody know what the difference is? Are there any aftermarket solutions available?
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our 06 F250SD came with some "jewel" lenses and they are very bright.
  3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Auto Zone sells aftermarket replacement bulbs with diffrent intensities, they have the Blue Brite bulbs, suppose to be twice as bright as the OEM bulbs
  4. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Different trucks have different lights. I have a '81 Toyota Land Cruiser that has just about the best lights I have ever seen, other than that, probably my '87 F-250, then probably the SuperDutys.

5. Big Dog D

Those "Jewel" lenses are what I have, they were introduced on the 2002's I believe.

There is no comparison between the Expedition and the truck. They are only a year apart but they are soo different.

I do a lot of driving at night in areas that have a lot of Moose and deer and I feel much safer in the Expy because of the increased visibility due to the better lights.
  6. KuetherSnow

KuetherSnow Junior Member

Another Solution you may want to try is a silver star headlight. I run them in all my trucks.
    The difference is truly day and night!! Hope this helps a Little
  7. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Check with your Ford dealer you seem like a good customer with an 05 and 06 maybe they can verify if there is a design difference. Could you plow wiring be affecting your lights on the 05 and making them dimmer ??
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Were the lights re-aimed after the plow was installed? The extra weight of the truck side mount would throw off the aim. Good quality driving lights triggered by the high beams might help with the critter spotting.
  9. Big Dog D

I am talking about the headlights on the truck not the ones on the plow.
  10. diggerbauman

diggerbauman Junior Member

SIlver Star replacements are the only way to go. I run them in all of my vehicles. They are great!
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Big Dog, I was use to driving a 94 F150 and those lights were almost non-existing,lol so these seem very bright to me. It might just be the way the truck is sitting or it might even be the ground wiring for the headlights. There is only a few different things it could be, headlight aiming, different lenses, good ground to the lights. Pull one of the plugs (easier said than done) and see how many volts there are at the end of the plug and compare it to your Expediton. We just got 3 Expeditions where I work and they seem to sit more "level" where as the F250-350 seem to sit nose down a little. Good Luck:waving: