1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Glow Plugs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WALKERS, Feb 11, 2007.

1. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Is it bad to keep my truck plugged in for along period of time? Does it really shorten the life of the glow plugs.? Thanks in advance:waving:
    JOSH

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Ive never heard that....hope not cause mine stays plugged in when its not getting drove!;)

3. WALKERS

I do to when ever its down around 20s that way I can go in the morning when I want to.

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The block heater has absoluetly NO effect on the glow plugs of the truck! I wouldn't be worried about it one bit!

5. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Nope the block heater has nothing to do with glow plugs. But from what I hear the block heater sucks 1000 Watts when its plugged in. I keep my truck on a timer and it turns on three hours before I get in it. Leaving your truck plugged in day and night when its not being driven is a waist of money.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto. I agree. The block heater heats up the coolant in the block. Has nothing to do with the glow plugs. I also keep my truck on a timer. Turns on 4 hours before I leave in the morning. Leaving it plugged in all the time is a waste of electricity.

7. WALKERS

Thanks guys for the info :waving:
    JOSH

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yes thanks...didnt think it mattered but appreciate the expertise!:salute: