1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford gears--3.55 or 4.10?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bje13, Oct 31, 2003.

1. bje13

bje13 Junior Member

I am getting a plow this year and am not sure which truck would work the best. Mine is a 1997 F-350 PSD with 3.55 gears and our work truck is a 1995 F-350 PSD with 4.10 gears. Which truck would be better for plowing snow? Or does it not matter much? Thanks.
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

410s will have more torque, therefor will push snow better. It probably wouldnt make much of a difference with which one you go with, but if it was me, Id go with the 410s if its gonna be used strictly for snowplowing. Highway driving and 410s dont mix well though. Mike :)
  3. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Your always going to be better with more gear (4:10)

I'm sure the 3:55 would do a great job, but out of the 2
    the 4:10 would work the best.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't think you'll see much difference unless you're carrying an extreme amount of weight. That's where the 4.10s will shine, getting you out of a hole with weight on.

I've plowed with both, the 3.55s in a F-350 pickup, and the 4.10s in a F-350 dump. I put about a thousand pounds ballast in the pickup, never had any problems with it pushing. The dump had a 2 yard Vbox sander installed, the 4.10s helped haul the load.
  5. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Which truck has power windows:D
  6. bje13

bje13 Junior Member

they both have power windows (the 97 has tinted windows though) and the 95 has sliding rear window, both automatic, the 95 with 4.10s has a chip and downpipe and a lot more miles, the 95 does have a lower front gvw but i will most likely add some sort of springs in front.
  7. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

i'd shy away from the tinted windows they can be a P.I.T.A while trying to plow.
  8. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

you couldn't pay me enough to take away my tint any day of the year!! Can you say "snow glare"? Just add more lights!!!:cool:
  9. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

As for the tinted windows...If they are more than 35% (light transmission) then you better get plenty of auxilary lighting.:cool: The 20% and 5% (limo tint) makes it very difficult to see when backing up or looking out the windows.
    I have 4.10's in my F250 and talk about a lot of torque, awsome for a little off road playing and can't wait till I get to try it out in the snow. In 4 low and the tranny in the lowest gear is to low for my offroad fun, have to put the auto tranny in 2nd and keep the tires spinning through the mud!
  10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

On my 95 F250 with the PSD I run 3.54 gears and I feel they work great. I have 33" MT tires and sometimes spin all 4 when plowingThe diesel gives you plenty of low-end torque. Plus, the gears are low enough to run highway speed without over-revving the engine.