1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Gas Gauges

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CMerLand, Mar 18, 2003.

1. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Pulling the bed off my truck tommorrow to replace it with one in much better shape and want to fix the gas gauges while I have them exposed.

I have an 88 F-250 with dual gas tanks, both work, neither leak. The one gas tank gauge worked until a couple months ago, now it reads full until the tank is just about empty so not exactly helpful. The other gauge says dead empty all the time and doesnt move at all when I flip over the switch.

I understand there to be electrical connections and a float in the tank that may need replacing, just hoping someone can give me some ideas on which wires I need to be looking at, or any other experience someones might have had. Appreciate the help guys.

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't think the sending units are serviceable, I don't believe you will find parts available.

The one that reads full, then empty, you may find that the float rod is hanging up in the linkage somewhere, other than that it will need to be replaced.

The one that doesn't work at all may just be a bad connection or broken wire. There is only one wire that goes to the sensor, they corrode right at the connection, sometimes to where they break off. If not, again replacement is in order.

If I remember correctly, they cost less than $50.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the parts for the fuel gauge sender are non-servicable.Ford sells them as complete units (at least here in Canada anyways) ,which include the fuel pump and mounting assy.They can be pricey.

The units should have 4 wires,two larger ones for the electric fuel pump.and two smaller ones for the gas gauge.Turn the key on,and connect a test light to the two smaller wires,one at a time.One should just barely light the test light.That is the one going to the gauge.You can then ground it to see if the gauge goes all the way up.If it does,the gauge and wiring is good.Make sure you have the switch in the right position for the tank you are testing.Be very carefull when removing the connectors at the tank units as they are very brittle.If you break the tabs off,they don't like to stay in place afterwards.

You can retrofit a generic sender onto the Ford assy with some minor work.Most parts houses will sell them,as well as generic fuel gauges.You may have to modify it to bolt or rivet on,and bend the float arm some to calibrate it,but they will work.They are usually very cheap too,like $10-15.00

Get two new locking rings and gaskets for the tank units.When you remove the old ring,it will most likely be siezed.You can gently bend it inward,and collapse it,to help get it free,then turn it or pry it out.You will probably also need 4 of the plastic clips which secure the fuel lines.You'll need 2 black and two white ones.

If you have any problems,just drop me a line.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I yield to wyldman, I'm stuck thinking in the dark ages of carburated trucks!:eek:
  5. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, took care of the front tank today. Discovered that the front gas tank was leaking so ended up having to replace the whole gas tank (replaced it only 3 or 4 years ago so not real happy about that). Since I plan on selling it in the next year or so, put the cheapo and readily available steel unit back on for $ 100 bucks. As mentioned the sending units are not servicable or separate of the fuel pump so had to shell out $ 120 for the pump and sending unit combo. My buddy whos a ford dealership mechanic helped me get it at that price.

After replacing everything and making certain we have at least one gauge working started looking closer at the unit itself. Since the fuel pumps alone are serviceable, and I have another truck that may be able to use it, I removed the fuel pump from the sending unit setup. Only a couple of very tiny nuts that hold the wires on and the fuel hose and clamps that keep it in place. It was during this process, that I discovered what is likely the real cause of the dead gauge. Discovered a pinhole leak in the little float can that had enough gas in it to keep it from floating.

The can itself isnt available, but had I known might have been able to rig something up to handle the floating duties(cork maybe??). Hope this info might help someone else down the line before they shell out the bucks for a unit they may not need.

Again thanks for the advice guys.