1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Full Size Bronco ????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boast Enterpris, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

What do you guys think about plowing snow with a 1993, 302, automatic, 4X4, full size Bronco? What size and brand of plow would be best for this vehicle? It would be used mostly for backup & residential work. I did a search on this & came up with some older data, does anybody have anything new to say. Any information and all opinions are welcome. Thanks guys, Boast

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I used on for 2 years. It was a great machine!! Especially if your doing residentials. The turning radius is like no other! I ran mine with a 7.5 meyer. The front would dip quite a bit, so I threw in a set of 2" lift springs in the front to level it when the plow was on. I had an extra leaf in the rear, which gave it a 1" lift, but also allowed me to put a salter on it, too. I made a bracket that bolts to a meyer spreader. It would fold down when you needed to open up the tailgate, and was supported by two pipes welded on the trailer hitch. Anyway, it was great truck, and you will be surprised how handy it will be.

3. Boast Enterpris

Thanks Jamie for comments. The front springs are already relaxing quite a bit so I had planned on replacing them right at the start. I run Western 7.5' Pro Plows and I think that one of them would be to heavy for the truck. I was planning on purchasing maybe a used standard Western or some other brand of plow that was compatible but weighed less. There are a lot of plows for sale and picking the right one is hard. I have notice on eBay that there are a lot of Fishers & Meyers for sale. I would like to go with maybe an old style Meyers, the parts are plentiful in my area and the older blades seem to be smaller and lighter.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i think there good plow trucks i dont know why they stopped making these trucks

5. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Boast- I have an 84 Bronco with a 7'6" Meyer/E-47. Last winter was it's first for me and I was really happy. It is great for driveways and tight areas. I know Meyer gets bashed a lot, but I had no problems. The truck looks like crap but it pushed snow like a champ.
    One thing- I had a 93 F-150 (which I imagine runs the same tranny) I went through 2 in the 6 years I owned it. I was told it wasn't their best design, so make sure you baby it. Good luck, Mike

6. Boast Enterpris

Thanks again guys. The truck has 142,000 miles on it. The transmission feels strong & the fluid was changed a 102,000 miles. I think it is a good truck. Wonder what will be the best plow for it?? Keep in mind that this truck will be used for backup purposes and residential drives only(You know how this always works). According to the specs the Fisher RD7.5' (630lbs) is the lightest of Blizzard, Western, & Fisher. The Fisher LD7.5' only weighs 487 lbs, which again is the lightest of the three. I have been having problems accessing the Meyer web site so I can't comment on them. Do any of you run a Fisher LD7.5' or is it to light weight for commercial use. I don't want to purchase a plow that will tear up in the near future. I have a extra Western Pro Plow 7.5' (682lbs), do you think that the Bronco will support this plow. Thanks Again!!

7. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

If you are already running Westerns, why not stick with them? I am all about keeping things as simple as possible. Beef up the front end and go with the plow you have. You never know when your back-up truck will move to the "front lines" so a light duty plow may not be the way to go. You also only have to stock parts for Westerns.
    I would check the door jamb for your FAWR. My F-150 only had a 2,950# FAWR, but I went ahead and put a 7'6" Sno-Way on it. Not really advisable, but I was a 22 year old kid who didn't know better.

8. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I had a 88 Bronco that I had an 8 ft Arctic on it. It was only used a few times as back-up. I put HD front springs in it so it did not sag too much. I would not put a 7.5 Western Pro on it but I think it would handle a 7.5 Western Standard Plow fine. Like it was said before Bronco' s are great for thier short turning radius but on the down side the windows tend to fog up a bit and the alternators were only 65amp I believe.It is also hard to carry snowblowers and shovels. Your newer Bronco may have a bigger alternator. Overall they are good if the beef the frontend up a bit.

9. Boast Enterpris

:waving: Thanks for all the help guys!! :waving: