1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford fuel tank rusting ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Marek, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Has anyone had this problem before ? My 550 has had the 40 g tank replaced once already as it delaminated and sent crap all thru the injectors and burnt up 2 fuel pumps. Now 2 years later they said there is rust in the new tank and you can feel it on the inside of the tank. Really getting tierd of trying to correct Fords mistakes.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Its quite common from what i understand , a sub of mine has a F 450 and had / has the same problem It has cost him quite a bit

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We have 7 450/550 dumps that "could" be affected by this issue. Ford customer service doesn't want to hear boo about this issue. We are now replacing tank #2 of 7. 1st one was an expensive lesson, lost the truck for 4 weeks while waiting on a tank, ended up buying aftermarket from California as OEM parts were "being redesigned" and were unavailable. Lost all injectors and fuel pump. Totalling almost 4K. Funny, ford will tell you you're diesel is the problem, that it's biodiesel, that your additive is causing the problem, but they go an redesing the tank???????WTF is that?

Yes I'm frustrated..........

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We had the same problem with ambulances. The fuel filters kept getting clogged. Ford claimed it was the fuel supplier! No ! it was their fuel tank linings self destructing! Humm Diesel fuel eats up the lining? What next? You did not use BP diesel? That must be the problem!

5. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Who makes an aftermarket tank ?

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It must only be a problem with the Cab and Chassis tanks as my pickups have had no issues. My 550 has a plastic tank, I am pretty sure it was installed by the upfitter.

7. Marek

Marek Senior Member

I'm getting ready to buy a new truck and am trying to find out if Ford has corrected this issue. If not no more Fords.My 02 550 has been the most expensive truck I have ever owned to keep on the road. The chassis cabs were the ones with the problem. Its the 40 gallon tanks that are mounted behind the axle. Getting tierd of buying new Fords that end up in the shop over and over . Anyone plow with Isuzu trucks ?

8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

There is a guy here in my area that plow with a 4x4 isuzu dump. I am not sure what size but it looks like a 3 yard box on the back . He runs a under tailgae sperader and a big boss v on it. It looks kind of neat , turns on a dime and you have an awsome view of the blade. The only down fall I see is if you hit something while plowing it would be easy to put yourself in the windshield ! Buckle up for sure !!!
    , shaun