1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford Fuel Tank modification

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by AboveParLDC, Mar 3, 2003.

1. AboveParLDC

AboveParLDC Junior Member

I have an 87 F-350 Diesel w/ a mason dump body on it. I'm looking to put a saddle tank on the outside of the frame rail so I can hold more fuel. I haven't found a tank yet to do it with but I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. What type of connections will I need to make with the new tank I put on. Any assistance on this topic would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone knows of a saddle tank that would be suitable for me please let me know....I'm thinkin about going to a junk yard and looking for a tank off a small mitsubishi of UD since they seem to have the smallest saddle tanks on them.

Thanks.....Adam

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Any tank that will fit should work,but will require mods to put it on.

I'm assuming you have an aft axle tank on that truck ? If you do,then it might be easier to get the proper front tank from a donor truck,and mount it in the factory location.That would be a direct bolt in.Or vice versa,if you have a frame rail mounted tank,get the aft axle tank and put it in.

Another option is to get a larger bolt in aftermarket tank to give you more fuel capacity with only one tank.There are companies like aerotanks,and transfer flow,which make these but they are pricey.You could also use a high capacity Bronco tank,which bolts right into your truck (with longer straps),and has a 38 gal capacity,much better than the 16-19 gal stock tank.

To plumb it,it would be nice if you could use the factory dual tank setup,with the in cab switch,and selector valve.This would make switching tanks easy,and would switch the fuel gauges as well.Again,finding a donor truck for parts would make it a bolt in swap.

If you don't want to go that route,then you could just plumb a line from the extra tank,into the fuel filler of the main tank,and use a switched pump to transfer fuel from one to the other.