1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford factory trans pto questions?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by GrowingSeasons, Aug 5, 2016.

1. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

i have two new 450 chassis being built with central hydros, aluminum dump beds spreaders, you know the deal. all my trucks built have had engine belt driven ptos and we like them, these two trucks are different bc the have two alternators and more work has to be done to place the pump, however they have the factory trans pto provisions on them. my question is for anyone who currently has run the trans ptos how they like them and if u can compare trans to engine run ptos what is ur preference.
  2. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I have never owned or ran a truck with a engine driven PTO, so I can't comment on how well that works, however my 2012 F550 trans driven PTO works great. Flip the switch in the cab wait two or three seconds PTO kicks on, ready to go. The greatest thing about Ford's trans PTO is that it is "live drive" meaning that it will work whether the truck is in gear, neutral or park, which couldn't be said about any of the other manufactures at the time my truck was built. As a matter of fact, it was such a rarity at the time, that my local upfiter didn't believe me when I came in to spec out the truck and actually questioned whether that would be the case. As of now, with 80k miles on the truck, that is one of the few things that hasn't (knock on wood) given me trouble.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If I have\had the option, tranny driven PTO is the only way to go. Far easier and cheaper than a engine driven\clutch pump\central hydros system.

Had one on my 750, best system I ever had.