1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jake2333, Sep 24, 2013.

1. jake2333

jake2333 Junior Member

I was thinking of buying a 2 wheel drive Ford F550. The dealer is telling me guys plow all the time without 4 wheel drive and the dually works great with just putting weight in box. Anyone have experience plowing with 2 Wheel drive and is it recommended?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They trying to dump a truck?

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

lots of posts and threads on plowing with 2wd dumpys search a little. Its done all the time with the right conditions and circumstances. (weight, tires, lot size, grade etc...)

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Don't do it. I went through it last year when my 4x4 broke. it was awfull. had to hire guys for anything up hill. and i had LOTS of ballast. Yours having 4 wheels will be a little better, but you will still be pushing those two front wheels and the weight of the engine. hit any pile of snow, and your truck will go sideways into a pole.

walk away from a 4x2. and walk away from any truck not made by american workers.

5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

a f550 is quit a bit diff then your 1/2 ton bird, all I have to say.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I did it for 2 years 3500hd GMC. Had a 1.5 ss Salter in the back. Only times I had issues was when I would try and push to far into the pile and get way to much snow behind the plow
    Another tk we have is a 3500 dump. And all we put is 1.5 of river rock in the bed. And that tk has a blizzard on it.
    So all food for thought

8. birddseedd

Very true. But I sure as heck would never do it. Esspicialy if you are spending the cash for a 550. The 4x4 can't be that much more

9. dieselss

All in all 4x4 is about a 3,000-5,000 option

10. birddseedd

Expensive option. but i wouldnt go without it. I even use it on the job site during the summer. less wear on the customers turf, a little more control on the dirt.

tho. ill admit if your drivin back with a 550 your probably doing a job that will tare up the turf regardless

11. dieselss

Well that's you.

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

For flat ground, like parking lots, the 2x F550 will be excellent. You need at least 3K pounds of ballast, and you need the best snow tires all the way around, for traction and steering. And, for the halibut, I'd have some quality net chains in the tool box. But, I had an F550 4x4, with a huge heavy dump bed. I plowed in 2x most of the time. Only used 4x4 on hills, or ice.

I used these snow treads, a re-cap done by Stratham Tire here in NH. Super aggressive, worked awesome.

[​IMG]

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

2wd in a heavy truck is fine, just know your limitations. We've plowed from time to time with our 2wd F550 and with some weight on it, it pushes like a freight train. Only time I wish it was 4wd is when we had a freezing rain event, that little extra help from the fronts would have added a lot more confidence in trying to get around when it's that slick.

14. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have to agree with birdman, if I were spending 40-60k on a new truck I'd want to make sure it could do the job. Our 450 has similar tires as buswell's, they work well but during nemo if that truck didn't have 4x4 it would've been dead in the water.

15. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

i have a 350 dump truck and i can plow in 2wd sometimes with a lot of weight in the back. but that is only sometimes.. we have way too many hills here in central nh and our snow is usually that really heavy slippery snow that i end up using 4wd at some point in the storm no matter what

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Apparently a lot of guys who don't even own trucks like these know lots about them :)
    We run two Chevy 4500's 2wd, they plow great. Obviously not uphill and the driver has to have common sense, but I bet I've pulled pick ups out of snow banks more than our 4500's. We also run a Chevy 6500 2wd and it's a plowing machine. Best rig we have, 2 ton of salt in it and it would probably even plow up hill

17. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Shhhsssss superior. :). Good time of year to get a deal because of misinformed poeple.

18. birddseedd

Till you accidently back up into a bank lifting the back end up and none of that weight touches the ground.

19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

A fully loaded F550 and your 4 door 1/2 ton cannot be compared. Two completely different trucks.

20. birddseedd

wasnt comparing it to my truck. was comparing it to a pile of snow