1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford f550 trans again

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by meyer22288, Dec 15, 2005.

1. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

went out to the f550 today to find its leaking trans fluid. just great! we got a storm coming in tonight into tomarrow to. the truck is going back to the dealer and see whats the deal. this is the second tranny in 26,000miles. first trans cooked at 19,000miles:realmad:

THANK YOU FORD:angry:
  2. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

You should have them replace the coolers when they rebuild tranny. Had same problem and my coolers were clogged from the tranny burning out and the bypass valve would just bypass coolers and tranny got hot quick. After second rebuild they agreed to replace the coolers. Now the truck doesn't get over 180.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Put the temp gage setup in the cooling line. Somethings going on that's killing them,could be a bad seal too.
    Take heart,the guy I subcontract for has a 99 Dodge 2500,it's on it's 3rd tranny in 50k miles,He's not real happy with it!
  4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I know its under warranty now but if it goes again aout of warranty there is a company that makes an allison conversion. I know of several people who did it and have had no problems since. Its only like $500 more than a new Ford tranny. it is the same tranny GM uses and they have had no problems that i know of and they have more torque with the dmax.
  5. slappy

slappy Junior Member
    from mass

allison conv

could you find out this companys name who makes the conversion to an ALLISON?
  6. SNHSERV05

SNHSERV05 Junior Member

f550 trans leak

hey my friend has an 04 f550 we had a leak last winter and the dealer fixed the problem and it was gone for 3 weeks for some strange reason, it has been fine so far, and his f350sd had same problem among others

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

No More A/t Too Heavy Loads

Got rid of 96 350 dually ub due too trans failure 3 times went with stick in 04 f-550 now carring 2 welders 1 air comp. and ton of tools.My pu has lost torque converter 2 - 110k Dads a rebuilder stripped it down not burnt clutch or other problems just converter failure.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  8. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

thank god for the diesel 100k warranty or you'd be diggin into that reserve