1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F550 Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terraventure, Mar 4, 2008.

1. terraventure

terraventure Member

I currently have a 2006 f550 with a fisher X-blade. the plow has been great but it seems a little undersized for the truck. I have had two locations on the x bracing crack which I reinforced. My trouble lately has been the push plates on the truck. Most of the welds are cold welds and have broken free so the push plates are bent. I had a 2004 f550 and the push plates were much heavier constructed. These push plates seem a little wimpy. I am planniing to replace the plow next season. I am wondering if anyone has an insight into a good rugged plow for the f550. I was thinking about The Boss Municpal 10' V. Could everyone that has a similiar setup have an opinion on what plow would be best for an F550.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am in the same boat, I just bought an 08 F550 and I am going to hold off putting a plow on it till the fall. After looking around I am inbetween the Blizzard 8611 and The Boss 10 V I want something that can scoop and after the problems I have had with the Extreme V I won't go that route again.

Can you put up some pictures of your f550 with the X blade?
    I won't have my F550 for atleast another 10 days as it is getting the body down at Brake & Clutch.
  3. terraventure

terraventure Member

i will take some pictures when it is fixed and washed. The push plates are so bad that the head gear came up and hit my hood. broke my bugshield and dented the hood. I am not happy with the push plates on my 06'

what did you pay for your 08'
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Without a doubt you won't be dissapointed with the Fisher M/C series. I currently have 4 of them on my 550's and love them. The most serious failure we have ever had was two weeks ago when I hit a minivan broadside @ 35mph with the plow on. Totaled the van and the only problem I had was I blew out my first angle cylinder in the 7 years I have been running the MC's on exclusively Municipal streets and commercial lots.

Here is a pic of one of them.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Technically, I believe it's a pic of one and a half of them. pumpkin:
  6. Big Dog D

Maybeeeeeeeeeeeeee a 1/3 but I don't think 1/2.:D
  7. Mark Oomkes

That all depends, is it a 9' or 10'?

Angled or straight?

Binky lights or not?
  8. terraventure

terraventure Member

has anyone ever had experience with the boss municipal vee on the f550?
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Big dog, hitting a minivan and blowing out a angle cylinder really isnt the plows fault. lol. got any pictures of the minivan?
  10. Big Dog D

No it was at night and was taken directly to the police station and impounded because it was being used to transport legal pharmasuticals (sp?) to nursing homes etc. and it was easier to take the whole thing rather than take the "goods" out.

I wasn't faulting the piston I was crediting the fact that besides bening the sno-foil that that's all that happened.

TERRA do you relly need the V?

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

From the specs on the Boss site it is exactly the same as the 9'2 just 4" taller and 10" longer nothing else special.

My 08 was 41K out the door before the body. That was with the 6.4 40/20/40 vynl, power group and in silver. Not to mention I sealed the deal 3 days before 0% ran out.
  12. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a 2008 F450 with a new Blizzard 8611. The plow got used real heavy this winter. The push beam, truck mounts and A frame both have developed cracks that had to be welded up. I think the 8611 needs a heavier push beam for it.
  13. terraventure

terraventure Member

I was thinking of getting a vee because i do a 76 house condex home owners association. My partner cleans out the drives with a skidsteer and I take the piles and push them down the street to where we pile the snow. I thought the vee would speed things up so I don't have so much trail off.
  14. Mark Oomkes

There's some rumors floating around that there was cheapening up (is that a word?) of the A-frames. I have one that has been used lightly compared to what I did the first time and it is cracking\bending. Not too happy, thought it was me, but seems like maybe somebody decided to use thinner steel or buy that crap from China\Croatia\wherever they don't know how to make steel.
  15. Big Dog D

Going to add Professor of Steel to your sig?:rolleyes:

TERRA, I got an XLS and love it so far. Don't think that'd I put it on one of my 550's though. I doo know a place where you could win a slightly used one for $25 donation to a great cause.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  16. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

I have a F-550 with the boss 10'V on it and love it. Its 34.5" tall weights a ton, actually about1100lbs, and carries a ton of snow. The plow is in its fourth year and it has not had one problem.
    I plow mostly asphalt lots but also some gravel so its gets the worst of both worlds. I am the one who exclusively uses it because my guy's like the small pickups better.
    I hear a lot of problems the other plows have but you don't hear about any problems about the boss othwer than the cheap cutting edges.
    Hope this helps
  17. newhol plower

newhol plower Member

our 8611 busted the push beam and blizzard replaced moalboard
  18. terraventure

terraventure Member

I also mostly plo asphalt but I do my own 1600' gravel drive and a couple other small gravel drives so that is good to know that you have not had a problem.
  19. snoking

snoking Senior Member

we run 10' bossplows on our 450's, the stright blade we have is 5 years old, plows 10 hours per snowfall min, looks and works great, the vee blades are 3-4 years old and are great in shape also, i would put them up against anything
  20. terraventure

terraventure Member

I just went to the BOSS website and it said you need special cylinders to lock the vee for backdragging but not available on the 10' v. Has this been an issue for anyone. I don't do any back dragging except my own drive.