1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F550 19.5" tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terraventure, Nov 24, 2005.

1. terraventure

terraventure Member

Hello all
    I have a 2004 Ford f550 diesel 9 ft dump and 9ft fisher x-blade. I currently have the stock continental tires. They are not to good in the snow, not enough siping. Does anyone else run a truck with 19.5" wheels. I am going to get some new tires and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.
  2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

yea you dont have many options with those rims but my dad has been running Generals on his with pretty good luck.
  3. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

The stock tires are worthless in the snow. Goodyear makes a all season radial tire thats not bad. I think i've got Generals on my F450, it's a real meaty lug tire that works well in the snow. They're not cheap though, they run about 265.00 a piece but you can't use those highway tires in the snow, you'll end up in the weeds pretty quick. oh, I think Bridgestone also makes a good meaty tire too.
  4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I just ordered the Generals, LMT 450s for the rears on my F550. $265 each, will have them next week. I researched these a lot, not many choices. The tire shop said he will no longer install anything other than the Generals on the 550s as people were complaining about the Goodyears, Kumhos, etc.
  5. Foz

Foz Senior Member

We have several GMC trucks w/ 19.5 and run Goodyear G124, good tread, can't remember the cost though.
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I see the guys around here run the Generals W/studs,they seem to like them.Not alot of options for that size as stated.
  7. snow white

snow white Member

I Run A Retread Tires On Rear As There Are Better Choice Of Tread Patters And Excellent Quality...deep Lug Only Usually Run 2wd Now
  8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I acually looked today and I have Goodyear G124 on my truck not Generals I couldn't remeber. The Goodyears have be pretty good though.
  9. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I have run the Goodyear G124 LT and ony got about 13k miles. It was a cap and perhaps that's why, but I also only paid $100 a tire.
  10. terraventure

terraventure Member

Chains on trucks with 19.5" wheels

I have the continental/general lmt400's on the front and lmt450's on the rear. The 400's are not an aggressive tire the 450's are ok. I am going to check out the goodyear g124's this week. I have checked about every major tire manufactures website and no one makes tires for 19.5" wheels for snow. I wish I could get some Nokian tires. My folks had some vehicles with those and the vehicles were incredible in all snow conditions.
    Does anyone run chains on their 19.5" wheels
  11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have found that even the generals aren't that great but there is really no other choice. The other thing to look out for is the sidewalls, they are very susceptible to damage from curbings especially granite. Seems like as soon as you brush against a curb they develop a gash, cut or a bubble/blister alomost instantly. I have a pile of tires that have plenty of tread but are junk do to sidewall damage. :cry:
  12. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

Ya I'm with you, after my first snowfall plowing experience the stock tires are not good on sno and ice. Even with my truck that's carrying the 8611 in front and a 3300 pound dump plus a 1ton of salt in it. It still had alot of problems with traction.
    Wich should be better to get goodyears g124 or generals LT 450? why do they recomend not to run trcacion tires on the front? Seems like it's needed with the heavy plow and 4 wheel drive.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I've run the G124's on my F800 and got about 25K out of them. wasn't real thrilled with that, but it doesn't sound like that's too bad. I am pretty sure that is what I will be putting on my 550's when it comes time to replace.

I've had some retreads from a local retreader and they have sucked to put it mildly. Got stuck with the first set more times in 6 months than in the previous 2 years we had the truck. Last set lost half the blocks on them. I am going to stop trying to save money and just get new tires from now on at least for 19.5's. The 22.5's on my 750 seem to be doing quite well.

Anybody got a pic of the Generals?
  14. mr.plow

mr.plow Member
    from Toronto

I just put general 450(4) in the back of my F550, the front is still stock. Should I do the front aswell? Or does it become too aggressive to drive and turn? Anybody running gen's 450 on the front how's the grip compard to stock, should I go with 460 in the front? Thanks.
  15. Big Dog D

Has anybody tried cutting additional sipes in the General 450's yet?
  16. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

we don't plow with our 550 service truck...but the Generals stink in the mud. I can't tell you how many times we've had to hook a chain to the front of the truck. Does BFGoodrich make those All Terrain T/A's in something that heavy?
  17. Big Dog D

I am as you can tell by my sig a pretty devoute Ford Truck guy. But they are really starting to pi$$ me off with their tire size $h!t !!!!!!!!!

My F-550's run the 19.5'' rims which like all of you who run them know are a very odd ball size and the tires only come in like two tread patterns both of which suck in the snow!

My 05 F-350 comes with 18'' wheels which again the only tire available on the market that are available are the Continental Conti-Trac's which aren't quite as bad as the 400's & 450's that the F-550's run but none the less aren't as aggressive a tire as I would like.

Do other manufacturers pull this same bs too?
  18. Big Dog D

19. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

20. Big Dog D