1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F350

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DJC, Aug 19, 2006.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I bought a new set of glow plugs for a 1995 F350 online and need to put them in this fall. Truck will not start under 45 degrees unless you plug it in or give it a little either. The problem is the ford dealer here in town said it would cost $470 just in labor. Is there that much to it????? I may be able to find a local garage that can do it but not sure.

2. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

Mine were easy..just a 3/8 long socket, short extension, and rachet. Find them on intake manifold, undo wire, loosen, remove. Sometimes then end in the manifold will balloon out and cause some removal problems. Just twist, twist, and WD40 helps. Hope you got Autolite ones as I tried Champions one time and they were quick to fail, and they all ballooned.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

should take about an hour to install and remove. there may be one or two that are tough to get too. btw our 91 has the same problems with starting not sure it's the plugs. it wont even start when it's 100 out with out cycling the plugs.

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

A 1995 7.3 Powerstroke has the glow plugs under the valve covers, and they can really suck to change. The gaskets have electrical plugs through them, and they may have issues. The glow plug relay may be a problem. There are multiple reasons for hard starting Powerstrokes.

I'd suggest checking out the forums over at http://www.ford-trucks.com/
    They have Diesel-specific topics that have tons of info about this.

BTW, ether is BAD for Diesels.

Try this link http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/424709-official-glow-plug-gpr-hard-winter-start-and-white-smoke-thread.html?highlight=glow

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

There is a guy over at fordtruckworld.com named Docluv. He is a International mechanic and knows the 7.3 like I know my hand. I would give him a shout. he has helped countless amounts of problems for people. tell him Curt sent you.

6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Thanks Curt!!!!!!! I will give it a try.