1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ribar, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Ribar

Ribar Junior Member
    from Chicago

Hello guys,

My first post here. Me and my dad are looking to get a truck for snow plowing. Both of us are new to this work, so i wanted to post few questions so we can make a wise decision on what to get.

Currently we are looking at 2000 Ford F250 XL Super Duty, its got 7.3 Diesel engine and it has 108k on it, 4x4 and manual transmission, regular cab.

My question are,

Since this is a manual transmission will it be difficult navigating both the shift and snow plow controller?

What size of plow would be right fit for this truck? We are looking to get a Western or Boss snow plow, but if you have other suggestion please let me know. Also what are the weight max that we can put up front?

Will we need to do any must upgrades to the truck for this work?

Thank you for your help,
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No problem with a manual tranny and go with a Boss V plow.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Good plow truck, good engine and as far as what plow...being a diesel might limit you as to what size but you could put at least an 8 foot something or other. The only upgrades you might look into are the alternator, and front springs...maybe add a spring or two.
    Being a stick shift these days I dont think is such a big deal, a lot of the new style controller's (like Western and Fisher) are small enough you could just attach it to the stick. I know a guy who used 3M Velcro and a couple dabs of Super Glue to hold it onto the stick and seemed to work.

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I have a 2001 F-250 S/C 7.3L PSD with an 8' Meyers. I wish I would have gone for the 8.5' blade, but was concerened with the weight on the front axle being a diesel and all. I have the 5200 GVW axle and the truck only drops about 1- 1.5" when the blade is lifted. Make sure thr truck is fitted with the 5200 front axle, tags in the drivers door. Other than taht sounds like a good truck. Good luck!
  5. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i would get a western wideout or a western or boss v IMO
  6. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

i plow with a manual. The plow control is mounted to the stick i can shift by holding onto the plow controls. I wouldnt have it any other way
  7. Ribar

Ribar Junior Member
    from Chicago

Thank you guys for your fast replays. We will be checking out this truck tomorrow, i will make sure to check front axle number.

I personally prefer the manual too, i wasn't sure how its going to work with the plow controller as i never worked with one. The idea of mounting the controller to stick sounds great, i think that is worth a try.

So if this ends up being a 5200 front axle we can get away with a 8.5 plow?

Thanks again,
  8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

personally i wouldnt. id put "code X" springs on it first. i meen 6 inches isnt going to matter that much, but the x springs are rated for 6000lbs. and im not sure if the 7.3's need the different clutch on the cooling fan. i imagine they do. but i run a 8' 6" blade and its heavy. close to a thousand pounds i know!
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Use at least an 8 1/2' blade
  10. 01SMOKINSD

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

You may want to double check those X code springs. My dad has a 2004 F250 C/C with the plow prep, which came with X codes and the door sticker says the front axle is still rated at 5200#.
  11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

8 and one half footer is a MUST....or you will drag tires when cleaning long curb runs....it sucks...i know