1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F250 vs Chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eggy, Aug 11, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy Member

Well this is pretty simple the price with options that I want is pretty much equal.....so let me have it.....which one would be the best plow truck?

2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I'm a ford man. I love my 250, although I dont have a plow on it yet. And I would assume your going with a regular cab as the super or crew cab 250 don't allow the snow plow prep.

And for a few hundred more the 350 isn't a consideration? Your payload will increase about 1000lbs., will come in handy if your putting in a v-box or tailgate spreader.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have a 2500HD duramax diesel on order thats being built the week of aug.20th. i think the new style body looks really sweet and the new diesel sounds impressive. im a chevy guy, so id say buy the chevy.

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I'm a chevy guy and would say go with chevy.But to be truthful if you change the oil wash the salt off, ford or chevy will do the job. the 2500hd's are really a 1 ton 9200gvw go with the ford and you need the f350 to be the same gvw right now the duramax is ahead but later ford is comming out with an even more powerful engine so I hear. then again where is your local dealers and can you get the service when you need it?

5. MAG

MAG Junior Member

mdb landscaping, I got one of the new 2500hd duramax diesel and i'm starting to put the snow plow on it. i have found out that i have to change things on the carrier to fit to the frame. i hope you don't have any problemsputting your plow on. i'm a chey guy also, and i love the new diesel. i'm getting 17 to18 mpg just driving to work. i hope you injoy your new truck. :)

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I go with what I know and what i can get great service on when needed.

Have several fords, that have never let me down, so I plan to keep useing them.

If it was me, skip the F 250 and go right to the F 350. With the F 350 you get a bigger payload, and a true Dana front and rear axel, not a ford designed Dana axel.

Geoff

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Eggy,you didnt say which options you chose,but if you are going small V-8,the Chevy 6.0 is much stronger than the Ford 5.4,almost as strong as Ford's V10.The 5.4 IMO isnt enough engine for a SD,unless you wont be doing any towing,or heavy hauling,or have a 2wd.The 6.0 will do all those adequetely to a point.The Ford front end will not sag as bad as the Chevy with a blade,and ground clearance is much better on the Ford.I have better luck with GM's,but others had had better luck with Fords.I will say I feel GM makes a better auto,which is important for plowing.If youre going big block,the 8100 Chevy will effortlessly smoke the Ford v10 for the same money,downside is you gotta spend 2300 on the allsion option,which is noisy and a busy shifting tranny empty.

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Although, I am not a Ford man, I do know from my experience with GM even that they have more powerful engines, they are not as reliable. And to me, thats what you should look for. I have a friend who is in the landscaping business, like me, who had all GM trucks, both me and him had the same problems. He has now sold all of his chevy's as I did and he has all fords now. I have Dodges, which I have always been partial too anyway. But we both have had better luck with our choices than with GM even though we have less power. don't even notice the less power really. As I have posted before, 40,000 miles was enough trouble with me, with front end problems, fuel pumps several times!!!!! Alternators so on so forth.......

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

thanks for the heads up MAG. ill let you know how it goes when my truck comes in.

10. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I think this is really a preference question. I have a F250 SD, it has the 5.4 and auto trans. I did only put a 7 1/2 plow on it because I do strictly residentials, and the shorter width helps out on some of them. Obviously, this truck handles the smaller plow with no problem.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

BTW - this truck is a supercab (i.e small back seat with a second set of 1/2 doors). It has a 6 foot bed on it and did come with a plow prep package, so to say that 250 super cabs and crew cabs don't have the plow prep package is not entirely correct. I believe that they don't have the prep package when it has the 8 ft bed.

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The Ford SD cant have the plow prep with a crew cab,or excab,only when Powerstroke diesel is under the hood.The 54. is lighter,so there is enough payload for the plow.