1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford f250 front axle

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by stretch1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. stretch1

stretch1 Junior Member

a friend of mine has a 2000 f250 7.3, does anyone know if it has a dana 50 or 60 front axle

2. wls

wls Senior Member

I think its a 50

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

solid axle Dana 60

4. mr.muddmotors

mr.muddmotors Junior Member

should be a 50

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

couldn't edit post

went to research it came with Dana 50 or dana 60

our 01 F250 have dana 60 it say on pumpkin

Dana 50 = 229
    Dana 60 = 248
    The three digit model number is cast into the center section, upside down, on the passenger side above the horizontal reinforcement rib.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

yup, you have to look at the axle and find the tag, or the casting number.
    2000 could be either a 50 or a 60. ford did not go strictly to the 60 front axle till 2002.

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

my 03 has a 60

8. wls

wls Senior Member

My old 02, I think it was the 50, not sure though

9. stretch1

stretch1 Junior Member

alright thanks ill have to look, we put a wheel bearing on it the other night cause it was bad, and the axle shaft is very sloppy in it after the new bearing, so now we figure there is bearings in the axle that have to be warn out

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

stretch1
    There is normally about 1/8" play at the yokes. The only bearing supporting the axle shaft is the torrington bearing that comes already installed in the new unit bearing. The inner axle end is supported by the differential splines, and the outer stub shaft is supported by the lockout & torrington bearing. My axle yokes move enough to contact the upper ball joint grease zerk. My unit bearing is only about two weeks old. A 2000 F250 should have the D50 front axle.

11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

stretch1
    There is normally about 1/8" play at the yokes. The only bearing supporting the axle shaft is the torrington bearing that comes already installed in the new unit bearing. The inner axle end is supported by the differential splines, and the outer stub shaft is supported by the lockout & torrington bearing. My axle yokes move enough to contact the upper ball joint grease zerk. My unit bearing is only about two weeks old. A 2000 F250 should have the D50 front axle.

12. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

2000 has the Dana 50

(my 01 F-350 has the D50 as well....yes I'm sure as I put a D50 ARB and 4.56s in it)

99-01 SRW Fords were D50
    02+ is when Ford swtiched to the D60 (some early 02s still had the D50).