1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F250 Daul Tank Problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RODJ, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RODJ

RODJ Member
    from MD

Front Tank Will Not Switch To Rear Shuts Down On Front Tank.work Fine With Rear Tank

2. clipper

clipper Junior Member
    from Maine

what year truck?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I had a 95 F250 with the dual tanks. Mine did that and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump in the tank. Check your grounds, or your switch could be bad. just my $.02

4. RODJ

RODJ Member
    from MD

Daul Tank Problems

Ford 1997 F250 Front Tank Full Tank Of Rear 1/4 Tank When I Switch To Front Tank Truck Shuts Down

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i just starteed having the problem with my 91 f350 it wont switch to the rear one

6. clipper

clipper Junior Member
    from Maine

See if you can hear the pump in the tank running when you swich to it. If not the pump is gone. That would be my best guess. It has happened to me.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have the pump in each tank system. Get under truck and have someone turn on the ignition with it switched to the tank in question. Use a glass and do the old listen to the wall trick on the tank. Listen for the pump running. You should hear it. If not pull the pig tail off the top of the tank and check for power and look at contacts for corrosion. You can buy new pig tails if you damage it taking it off or it is trashed. The ground for the pumps is under the hood, it should be OK since the other tank works. And the tank in question gage works. If no 12 volt to the pig tail check, the wires, consider replacing the switch if they are OK. I would bet the tank's pump is fried. If it is, replace the sensor plate ( if the pipes are rusted ) and pump if you can afford it. Because the pipes out of the sensor plate tend to rust out. Then you have to revisit the job to replace the sensor plate.If the tank is really rusted it's about $100 or so for a new one. Consider it if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007