1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F250 Brakes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by QCS, Feb 13, 2007.

1. QCS

QCS Junior Member

Just wanted to pass along to all of you that have the early 90's Fords, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR BRAKE LINES! I was getting ready to pull out of my driveway yesterday in my 1994 Ford F250 and the brake line burst. This is the one that runs through the inside of the frame rail. It seems Ford used a line that has a spiral, spring type material that covers the line. This does nothing but catch dirt, salt and road grime and causes them to rust away over time. Anyway I'm glad this happened in my driveway instead of going down the road. I replaced the front line that runs across the crossmember during the summer and it had a small pinhole leak (same issue, rusted). So, after all is said, make sure your guys that have the early 90's Fords, give your brake lines a good inspection.

2. dgoatboy

dgoatboy Junior Member

I put all new brake lines on this summer for the same reason. Mine is a 94 f-350.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had the only line I had not replaced pop in the last storm. Lines rust out and pop get, used to it - it happens.
  4. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I have a 96 F250 that did the same thing to me this summer. After replaceing the front brake line across (between the front tires) I then looked over the rest of the lines and ended up replacing all lines from the Master Cylinder down. I would rather do that repair in the summer than laying on the cement in the winter.

How about your oil pan's have they started rusting yet? I think I need to replace mine soon. Its starting to leak around the bolt.
  5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Everything rusts out on plow trucks, and I mean everything. Your truck being a plow truck was overdue for total brake line replacement, I do that at 10 years old as PM, along with fuel tanks and hardware, battery trays, diff covers, and give the oil pan, and trans pan a real good look if not replacement. That spiral wire wrapped brake line is not a Ford exclusive. Dodge, GM, and many others have used them. Heck I would be bitching about the line you replaced last summer that already rusted out, not the one that lasted 13 years.
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I had mine go on my 99 f250 last year during a storm but that was my dumb ass fault. I could not get the shock bolt off so I took the mount off held on by a u-bolt to the axle and it worked it self loose and rubbed a hole in the back line running across the rear axle. Steve
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I will tell you a trick to get your badly rusted bleeder screws loose without breaking them off.
    I take my torch and heat the bleeder screw red hot about 2 -3 times.
    Without heating the caliper or wheel cylinder up.
    This will burn the oxidation away from the threads. Carefully break them loose and take them out and go and get new ones. .
  8. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 95 f150. I replaced everything.