1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford f250 alternator

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chriscasto22, Feb 6, 2005.

1. chriscasto22

chriscasto22 Junior Member

hey guys got a question for ford owners. i have a 04 f250 psd, when i bought it, it had no plow on it, so i had the dailer insall one before i picked it up (fisher MMII 8 foot). when i got it home i realized it did not have the snow plow prep package which i thought was no big deal because i was going to add timbrems. During the past storm (blizzard 05) i noticed all might lights dimming and the heating going dead. I thought it was my strobes but found out it wasn't, after doing some research i found out that the alternator with the snow plow prep package is 140 amps, compared to the stock 110 amp alternator. I called ford yesterday to get a 140 amp alternator and they said they are on backorder till april and preference is going to emeregeny vehicles (police / ambulences). So my question is where can i get a beefer alternator for my truck? and is anyone else encountered this problem?

GO PATS !!!!!!!!! :drinkup:
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You can get a 140 amp at any parts store. (NAPA)

You should first look at your battery. If your battery is good and your 110 amp alt is working good then you will get a little dimming in lights but that is all.
    A good alt is of no benefit if the battery is not good.
  3. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

Do a search for " High Output Alternators " on this Forum ,and You will find All
    Your Questions answered , including After-Market Suppliers with Links.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You shouldnt need a bigger alternator. I have 3 plow trucks. Ford PSD with 130 amp, and two chevys with 98amp and 102amp. Never had any problems.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you doing a lot of driveways? They are hard on the electrical system as you only drive a few feet before using the plow again. You might look into adding a second battery as well.
  6. chriscasto22

chriscasto22 Junior Member

have three small parking lots and 10 driveways, i understand that the lights will dim a little but not enought to shut down the heat and radio and alll the interior lights. i am going to have the battery tested this week to see if they are fine before purchasing a new alternator. however might invest in a new one because i want to add an additional strobe or two.. thanks for all the good advice, keep it coming . chris
  7. Paulie

Paulie Junior Member

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Your PSD alternator should be better than 110 from the start. Make sure your batteries are in good shape. They both have to be. You can get a bolt on 200 amp alternator through ebay for decent money. Just put one on my truck. Haven't noticed any difference from it and my stock alternator.
  9. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but not more than three months ago I couldn't find a high output alternator for the 6.0 PSD. No problem in finding one for the 7.3 PSD though. Better yet, I should pick up the phone and speak with one of the suppliers that I have dealt with before.

Just my .02¢
  10. boba

boba Senior Member

I have a 203 F350 psd. Truck has strobes/flashers, high intensity backup lights, 2 way radio, scanner and other power sucking items. Last year with the ford alternator it was a nightmare. Changed to one by Ohio Re-manufacturing. 180 at idle 210 under load. You also need to upgrade your wires. Also I installed an auxiliary idle control. No problems this year.
  11. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I did the same and upgraded my alt to a 200 amp. I get 130 at idle and 200 max. I replaced all factory wires with 1 ga they recomended 2 ga but I had the 1 laying around so I used it up. I can run heat radio strobes light bar no problems anymore. I got my alt from http://motorcityreman.com/ cost with shipping was $210.00
  12. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I forgot about Motor City. I have a guy who works for me that bought a high output alternator from there. He had a problem with his alternator a little while after he got it and Motor City stood behind their product as promised.

13. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I have been very happy with them I talked to the guy on the phone his price was cheaper than what was advertised on the web page and it came on the day promised. The best part was the price. I was going to get a powermaster for $350 but found these guys and they saved me a ton of money.