1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford f250 7.3 what plows should i be looking at

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pools&plowingct, Nov 18, 2005.

1. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

well guys i am now in the market to pick up a plow and i am not sure which one to get the only plow i have ever used is a fisher. i jsut wanna here peoples opinions please no brand wars. also my truck has the dreaded dana 50 axle so any guys out there with a f250 and have a plow on it any incite would be greatly appreciated as to problems that have been encountered and so forth

thanks chris
  2. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i have a 8 foot western on my 92 HD with the 7.3 IDI.now at just shy of 200,000 miles,i have had no major problems with the dana 50,just u-joints,but i just do small drives and the farm,nothing like those parking lots some guys have to do.in fact the only problem i've had with truck at all is that darn E4OD(junk):angry:
    this truck had a fisher on it before i bought it,so the p.o.had installed a third leaf spring.the front end hardley squats with the western on the front.
    i also had a 84 f-250 with A 8 foot fisher plow and dana 44 front axle,that thing ate u-joints and only had the six banger in it.
    as far as plows go,IMHO fisher is way heavier built than any other plow(at least the older ones)but that wieght takes its toll on the front end,add to that the wieght of the diesel and you should have a third leaf.
    dont get me wrong i like my western,had very few problems,but if i had it to do over i would have to buy a fisher.:nod:
  3. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

Click on the Blizzard snow plows icon on the top of the page. I have a F-250 with 6.0 and a Blizzard 810 power plow. Check out the website solid plows.
  4. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

Check out a Snow-Way. I got one this year and I got to use it for the first time on thursday and I love it. I like it more then my brothers Meyer.:redbounce
  5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I have a 250 (5.4) and I push with a Meyers. I love it. I can't believe the beating it took last year (with very little maintenance) and totally withstood the temperatures and abuse...beautifully.

I just got it rebuilt (just in case) and everything so far has been cheap. (Except the touchpad) So, just my .02
  6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Hey look on ebay there is a guy selling a 8ft fisher set up off a 96 f350 in CT.Auction is over today[i know because its me selling the plow :rolleyes: ]
  7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go with the Fisher!!!!!! I honestly feel that they are the best quality unit on the market. Sizewise 8 foot would be best. You may have a challenge getting somebody to install aplow on a 3/4 ton with a diesel though. The diesel kinda maxes out the GVW's on the front axel I belive.
  8. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

i got a buddy who puts plows on at the local welding company he is gonna do it for like 200 bucks i jsut need to finda plow
  9. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Don't forget to add a very large tranny cooler. It will help the life expectancy of the auto. I always look for the boggest one i can get at a parts shop or order one through Summit Racing.com
  10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

84 f250 4x4 twin traction beam axel and I have an 8.5 western unimount pro with 4 inches added to the top to make the blade taller and extra crossbraces for more durability and the truck handles it fine.
  11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a 96 7.3 F250 with the Dana 50. I have though, installed 2" drop axle brackets and F350 springs in the front end. Positive camber in the springs. Rear axle had F350 blocks swapped in. Truck sits at the height of a F350 or a tad lower. I have the timbrens on my front end, but had the axle and spring work done because the Timbrens were contacting all the time. Very harsh ride. Now I have space with the Timbrens on the truck still. I run a 8' 25 series snoway plow. The truck carries the plow very well and doesn't sag hardly at all. If I had the money I'd get a 32 series 9-10" snoway to replace what I have now. I have tried to stay within the GAWR of the front, but even with the light 8' snoway, I bet I'm over. No complaints with snoway being a lightly built plow. The 32 series is built for the heavier GVWR trucks but still is light enough for a 3/4-1 ton single rear wheel truck.