1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford f250 2003 6.0 diesel electrical/charging problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by alldayrj, Jan 23, 2014.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing today and the radio starts cutting out when moving the plow and the plow moves slow. Dash lights like abs and battery come on. I say ALTERNATOR and start heading home since this is what it did about two years ago.

On my way home the trans is acting funny, gauges go off finally it stalls out. I sat for a half hr and it restarted, made it to the shop and it stalled again. Put a jump pack on it, dropped the plow, brought it in and the alternator was putting out 12.

Put a rebuild in it, apparently you cant get new any more. Rebuild is putting out 12.2 so they put another in it thats putting out 12.4. Could we get two bad ones in a row or are we missing something else?

Thanks guys.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bad cell in battery?

3. alldayrj

Both batteries were installed new in october, but it hit 0 degrees last night. Could they go that fast?

4. grandview

Sounds like a battery,clean up the grounds and stop by auto zone for a free battery check.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

yes you can get 2,3,4 bad alternators in a row if they are rebuilt.
    and a battery can go bad overnight, the killer of batteries is extreme weather chances.
    i would check the fuse-able links, one of them is for the charging system.
    and you can still get new alternators.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the fuses to start with. If the r (or I. I can't remember) terminal isn't getting pwr then the alt won't charge.

7. grandview

Maybe#46?.....

8. alldayrj

I think they cleaned all terminals but ill have them double check

I know i changed 3 rebuilds in a row on my old suburban. In the snow. Not cool.

If i take a voltmeter to the alt and its less than 14 it HAS TO BE the alt? Correct?

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

No 13.5+ and alt is good

Check resistance in battery cables.

Check grounds. Check and see if you have any body codes as well

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No it don't have tobe the alt. Ck the fuses just tobe safe

11. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Once you installed the new alternator, when were you checking charging? The 6.0 pcm does not allow the alternator to charge untill the glow plug circuit has shut down. That can last 2-3 min after startup, sometimes longer.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  12. alldayrj

Which fuses? Under hood or by your knees? Any in particular?

Where are the fusible links?

Im not getting 13.5 im getting 12.4

I brought it in at 5 pm and they changed teo alts by 6. Hopefully theyre fresher in the am and we pound it out. I just wanted to do all the troubleshooting to save some shop time at 100/hr

13. alldayrj

The truck was at operating temp, do i still need to wait a few minutes?

14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Also make sure you belt tensioner isn't getting weak. This will allow the belt to slip. Check voltage with truck off then again with it running. Most modern alternators will put out at least 14 volts but 13.5 is considered acceptable. I have had good luck with US Industries alternators.

15. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Yep. I watch mine do it all the time. I have the edge insight. My voltage fluctuates 12.6-14.1 after the plug circuit goes out. Its 11.9-12.5 while plug circuit is on. I know the PCM controls the output of the alt at all times. If it dosent feel that it needs it, it won't be ramped up to 13.6 all the time. These are the main reasons why fresh good batteries are so important in a 6,0. The FICM module depends on them and the glow circuit runs on battery only. Bad batteries cause so many issues and will take out injectors and the FICM.

16. alldayrj

Ok so ill call them firstt hing to start it up and check it after 5 mins.

Any tips on those fusible links or anything else?

17. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

The links are located on the positive cable on the passenger side battery about 6"s from the battery.
    a quick check to see if they are good is to meter between alt lug and ground while the truck is off

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Also, your local dealer should stock new alternators. I just put a new OEM one in my truck. My employee cost part only was over 200$ though.

19. alldayrj

I called the dealer, They told me 265 but im not sure if it was new or rebuilt.

20. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Yeah... Mine was new... I did not have to give a core. My employee cost was 205$. I kept the old one and I'm getting it rebuilt stronger/better than OEM