1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F150 Salting

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by odd1or2even, Aug 28, 2008.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I own a 2003 F150 5.4L 4x4 Supercrew XLT truck with a Meyer 7 foot 6" plow. I currently have a hitch spreader for my truck, but I'm getting much larger parking lots to plow and salt this year. So my question to you Ford guys, can this truck handle the SnowEx SP6000 V salt spreader?

The spreader I'm looking at is electric, but I think my stock alternator is 95 amp, and there is an upgraded alternator to 130amps which I think would be needed. The spreader holds 1 cubic yard of salt, but with my truck I can only "legally" hold a payload of about 1500 lbs.

Let me know if you guys/ladies have any thoughts/ideas on whether my truck can handle the spreader. Thanks for your time, and LET IT SNOW IN PHILADELPHIA THIS YEAR PLEASE!!!

Steve

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dunno. i saw a couple fairly new f250's last year with spreaders and fully loaded that looked pretty damn shaky. also some serious drooping going on there with the ass end. that werent happy looking fords.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

4. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I'll be salting train stations. So there could be anywhere from 8-15 stations to plow and bags of salt would be too much time to load and too much salt to be used.

What I'm really wondering is whether the truck's electrical system to handle the electric salt spreader that draws 25-35 amps. Thanks

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you already answered your own questions. Do you you have a backup plan if your truck lays down?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your going to have more repairs and break downs pushing the truck to it's limit. Plowing with a 1/2 ton is hard enough on it. Then you add the weight of the salt and spreader. You can add a second battery and a bigger alternator to the truck. There are sites on the INTERNET that have the alternators. You have to upgrade ( wire size) the feed from them to the batteries.

8. boston41

boston41 Junior Member

I was thinking of doing the same thing but I have an 2011 Tundra with the 6.5ft bed. Was thinking about taking out the timbrens that I have in the rear now and putting in super springs. Take a look at them on their website. As far as the alternator, I myself would upgrade. good luck hope you have a good season.