1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ford f150 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by codie, Feb 23, 2009.

1. codie

codie Junior Member

i have a quick question . what would be the best plow for a 1992 f150 with a 300 straight six , auto tranny . i was looking for something that wont burn up the tranny .
  2. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Go to blossplows.com and check out the 7'6" standard or super duty straight blades for your F150. Many will agree that a huge factor in how/when a tranny blows up is who the operator is that is beating on it. Not slamming it into reverse while you are stilling rolling into a pile should go a long ways in allowing that tranny to have a longer life expectancy. Regular maintenance also helps!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. codie

codie Junior Member

would a fisher plow sd series be the same thing
  4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Find yourself a used Western Unimount. I love em.
  5. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Comparing the specs from the websites, I noticed the SD Boss has an extra trip spring (3 vs. 2), stands 27.5" high vs. 26" for the Fisher, and weighs 597lbs without the mount ( about another 75 or so). The Fisher comes in about 100 lbs less before the mount ( which is also slightly less than the Boss). The Boss has a 3/8" steel cutting edge, vs. the 1" poly version on the Fisher. For all the details, check out both websites.

Many will tell you to go with the one where you know you can get great local service - and whenever you need it.

For me, I am biased because I am running a Boss V on my truck, and of course, love it.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. Team Pigeon

Team Pigeon Junior Member

I got real lucky and found a $500 Western Uni-mount 7'6" for a Chevy that I'm mounting onto my slightly modified straight 6. I went with whatever was cheap BUT I will tell you that the Western website info is plentiful- that pretty much made my decision to go with that brand. They've got all sorts of manuals, drawings, downloads and descriptions in that website- it makes any mechanic smile. I will also tell you that the guys on this website are pretty good with their info too, they've been good help.

Look for my post in the 'western' section. I'll have pics later this week when it's all done.

Good luck.