1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford f-750

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by mrsops, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Have a question for anyone that would know the answer to this i figured i would post it here. My f-750 is what ford is calling a d-rated model usually a f-750 has a gvw of 33,000 but mine is only 26,000. I talked to someone today and there telling me that the d rated f-750 trucks acutally have a gvw of 30,000? but ford lists them at 26,000 to keep the cdl factor out of the question. Im not sure about all this when we bought this truck 4 years ago we were under the impression that the truck is empty and weighs 14,000 so that leaves 12,000 to put in the dump body. Can i really put 16,000 lbs in the bed?

This all came about today when i went to pick up some 3/4 clean gravel. I acutally took a picture of my truck with 6 yards of gravel on the back which it acually hauled it fine i mean it feels a little heavy but it does it. Guy at the local place i went said i should be able to carry 8 yards of clean gravel but i dont know that seems like it would be to much weight.

dirt sifter 014.jpg
  2. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

I don't think it's a matter of could it or not. It's more a question of how much the fine is for being over weight.
  3. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Yeah thats true lol
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget the towing bill when they sideline the truck...

I'd keep her under 26k, that's a huge can of worms I would avoid if I were you... :dizzy:
  5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

btw, beautiful truck. Just go and see your DOT and see what they say and get it in writing.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Pristine, maybe DOT can help. NOT likely, especially in the NY/NJ area, but maybe worth a shot. I wonder if you could get ford to verify that in writing and go to the DMV with their statement and give you an exception & let you register at the higher weight.
  7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

what does it say on the plate on the inside of the driver's door.

that's the key to the whole thing

that's what DOT looks at.
  8. TheXpress2002

TheXpress2002 2000 Club Member
    from Canton

I have the same issue with my GMC 6500. Everyone has told me something different. SOS has one thing in their system the DOT sticker says another. I was told by both to play it safe and keep it under 26k

The more important question is where did you get that beautiful dump body?
  9. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

exactly! doesnt matter what it ways empty or how much you put in it they base it off of that plate.
  10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Do you have a CDL?

If not you can't go over 26k.

It is possible to reggy the truck for 33k here and run that heavy, not sure if NY will let you do that.
  11. clark lawn

from NE ohio

i did a little research and everything i have found said the F750 is either reated at 33k or 37k, if this is the case then you need a CDL to drive that truck.
  12. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i am in the same situaton.... my 06 f-750 says its derated from 33k to 25990.. thats what the door sticker says. ill have to find a picture for y'all
  13. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Same thing here.. I dont know what the hell is going on lol
  14. clark lawn

from NE ohio

well if the door sticker says 25990 then thats what you are allowed to gross, the truck probably could handle 37000 easly but dont get caught or its a big time fine like ab out $11,000.
  15. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

If you don't have a cdl DO NOT go 1# over 26000. My guess is 6 yards of gravel will put you over. Gravel here weighs about 3000/yard. My f-650 weighed 12500 empty I could only haul 41/2 yards of gravel to keep it under 26000. Bring the load to a scale to give you an idea of what the gravel weighs.

Here you can register truck for more as long as you stay under the tire rating. But you will need a cdl-b.

And..... if you want to pull a trailer over 10000#'s you will need a cdl-a.

NICE TRUCK!!!!!!!
  16. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

See stuff like that pisses me off where spending 65,000 on f-650 dump trucks which are probably a lot more money now and you can only haul 4 1/2 of gravel. I had this truck weighed it weighs 13,900 empty. I was told at my local supplier that 3/4 clean gravel weighs anywhere from 2,200 to 2,500 a yard. So if i put 6 yards on im basically right there.
  17. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

I checked the tag on the f-750 it says rear 21,000 and front 10,000 lbs so thats a total of 31,000. But then on gvw it says 25,999?? What the hell is that about lol
  18. cretebaby

Did you not intentionally buy a derated truck?
  19. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

cretebaby they did not explain anything right when i bought this truck. They told me that all f-750 had a gvw of 33,000. Then they told me they have what is called f-750 derated truck that brings down the gvw to 26,000 so you dont need a cdl to drive. But i was told that this truck in reality would be able to haul 8 yards of dirt, gravel, etc. But whats the sense if the gvw reads 26,000 if you get caught your done.

What the whole purpose of a derated trucks then?
  20. cretebaby

To keep them under CDL.

Go get your truck rerated for 30-31k or check into uprating the registration.