1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F-350 question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dewey, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new to me plow truck . Today I looked at three .
    Two had the 6.0 deisel in it,,,, I know that on of the deisels are more problematic than the other
    These were at two dealerships... Both of the salesmen said that the typical problem with the 6.0 has been fixed but neither of them knew what the problem is....
    The other had the V-10 in it
    Just wondering what you guys think...

06 6.0 had 69'000 on it lariat loaded perfect shape with 9'2 Boss Vee $28000
    03 6.0 had 55'000 on it Lariat real good shape 9'6" Fisher Vee $24000
    06 V-10 had 80'000 on it Lariat real good shape no plow $ 22000

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Well I don't have one but I have been told by others who do to stay away from the V-10s.

3. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Go back even further and find a 01 or 02 with the 7.3L. I found one up here that I am considering, a 01 F350 reg cab deck dually 4x4 with the 7.3L. $8000 for it with 295000km's. He is on crack for what he is asking of the used Blizzard speedwing at $7000 though.

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

2003 and 2004 had the most problems with 6.0 . I had an 03 F350 with a 6.0 that I bought used and it was nothing buy problems. The newer 6.0 had the kinks worked out so the 06 should be a good canidate.

never owned a V10 a buddy of mine's company swears by them and have a fleet of 8 of them and never have problems.

Good luck

5. wastedwages

wastedwages Junior Member

If you are looking at used 6.0's here are a few considerations (along w/ the OASIS and CARFAX reports that are essential).

Some 6.0L weak points (things to check):

Look for signs of coolant degas bottle overflow (dry white residue on and around the degas bottle or no level in degas bottle).

Lots of idling can cause EGR problems. I look at the hours on the engine (if it has this monitored) and divide the miles by the hours (is it below 30? If so, may have had lots of idling).

Even without much extended idling EGR valves can plug quickly - maybe negotiate for a new EGR valve. In fact, I would negotiate for them to pull the EGR valve to inspect it (have them show it to you when it is out and then you need to look into the intake). Check for wetness (w/ rear end jacked up) and for excess soot. Wetness indicates an EGR cooler leak. If the valve is gunked up, have them replace the valve. If the intake is real bad, you may push them to clean it as well.

Look underneath for oil leaks - some trucks have had a lot of them.

If you buy from a dealership, I would negotiate for them to install the latest flash of all 3 processors (PCM, FICM, ECM).

Negotiating for an extended warranty is always a good thing as well.

Try to find out about the routine maintenance:
    · Filter change intervals on time? What kind of oil (CI 4 + or CJ 4 - one of these is required)?
    · OEM filters? Look at them and see what kind they are. Aftermarket filters can cause MAJOR problems.
    · Find proof of Transmission being flushed/changed - it is recommended every 30,000 miles.
    · Any exhaust problems visible (i.e. lots of white or blue smoke)? White smoke may mean an EGR cooler leak.

Check for any FLUID leaks (as stated previously - LOOK SPECIFICALLY FOR OIL LEAKS - 6.0L are prone to many of these from many possible places!!).

CEL (Check Engine Light) on? Consider getting a code reader and check for DTC's. You can have active DTC’s without a CEL.

The Electronic Shift on the Fly ESOF sometimes fails due to vacuum leaks. Be sure to check this out (several times in and out of 4WD and/or take front wheels off to inspect).

Check for excessive wheel bearing wear (looseness), sway bar (end link looseness), or ball joint looseness. Ball joints and sway bar end links tend to go out in the 70k-90k range. Jack one side up at a time and see if each wheel moves top to bottom only, if so, it is the ball joints. If it moves in all directions then probably wheel bearings.

Check the coolant - it should have the Motorcraft Gold Coolant or Fleetrite ELC coolant - anything else and there may be problems. Look in the "degas" bottle and inspect the fluid - there should be NO OIL visible (oil emulsified in water can show up as brown sludge). As previously stated, the degas bottle should not have white residue around the sides of it (possible overheating issues).

Any evidence of a tuner (aftermarket air filter, gauges, etc)? Tuners may or may not be bad. Some tuners are MURDER on the transmission. Some dealerships will cause you a lot of problems w/ them - even if you bought it that way used.

Aftermarket air systems could be a problem. Many of them simply do not filter as well and could cause issues. Up to 500 hp, the stock air system is best!

Try to find out if the original owner ever ran it empty on fuel or have plugged filters (fuel pressure below 45 psig can damage injectors)?

Then the common stuff I'm sure you know:
    · Look at and smell the fluids. Make sure fluids not burnt, not too thick or dirty.
    · Check the tires - abnormal wear?
    · How do the brakes look? Any pads need replacement? Are the rear brakes excessively worn?
    · All electronics working? Especially the AC (repair can be expensive)?
    · Dents? Air bag been replaced, etc.
    · See if he has any repair or maintenance records.
    · Take off the price for windshield dings, paint chipped, torn upholstery, etc.
    · Does the truck look too clean? Does it look like the oil was just changed? May be hiding something.
    · Any extras - tool boxes, bumpers, etc.?
    · Drive it - does it hesitate, stutter, or surge? Does it blow white or black smoke? When driving, brake fairly hard - note any pulls, pops, clunks, rattles, etc. How does it accelerate? You should romp on it pretty good. Drive in reverse and then back and forth - listen for clunks.

6. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

I agree with NEUSWEDE. Stay away from 03. Either 06 is good but the v10 is quite thirsty. My big question would be why Lariats? Instead of a 5 year old truck with some miles, maybe look at newer trucks in a lesser trim level for something that will live a hard life as a commercial vehicle. If you give up some luxury then you will get more truck and plow for your money. Sometimes when you are out plowing at 3am the simpler vehicle is the better vehicle.

7. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Not looking for Lariats or 6.0 specifcally... I just want a 1 ton pickup Ford or Gm gas or diesel and these are what I saw today..... thanks for the info I appreciate it...

8. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

I have a v10 and it has great power. Pulls trailers like there not even there. Great motor mine has almost 160xxx on it.

9. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

great info Wastedwages!Thumbs Up

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Those prices are absolutely crazy. He's on crack for the 03

12. Chipper

Chipper Member

Make sure the build date is AFTER 1-06. Ford did some updates to the 6.0 to fix the problems that the earlier ones, 03-04 had. I currently have 226000 miles on my 2006 with the 6.0. She started every day even down to -20. Hasn't used any engine oil/antifreeze etc. and has pushed more snow this year then I could have imagined, WITHOUT 1 problem.....
    Without seeing the trucks the 06 Diesel would be my choice. Stay away from the Wee-10.

13. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

The Triton V10 is an absolutely fabulous motor. If you have ever heard of the reliable Triton V8s in the F-150s, the V10 is the same thing with 2 more cylinders.

In an 06, that motor will be putting out 362 HP, and 457 lb. ft. of twist. Motor pulls great, is very reliable, and is extremely simple to maintain.

Over on Ford Truck Enthusiasts, there have been quite a few members hitting 300k with them.

14. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

What are you intending on doing with the truck?

15. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I'll agree with staying away from the 6.0's we had 25 2004's at my former work, and they were nightmares. A friend of mine has a 2005 6.0 and it is nothing but problems too, currently has a nasty skip that cant be found.

As for the V-10, I had a 99 and I loved it. They have since improved the power, and also the problems with spitting out spark plugs as of the 2005 model year I believe. As far as fuel economy....there really is only a small difference between the V8 and V10's thats compairing the two that I personally owned, and also feedback from people I know that own them as well.

If you want a diesel, you cant go wrong with a 7.3, take your time and you will find lower mileage 1999-mid2003 trucks that will just run and run.

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The only real problem you'll have with the V10 is losing exhaust manifold studs possibly resulting in a cracked exhaust manifold. Other than that its probably the best gas truck you can buy. Put a Tuner on it and watch out!

17. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

The plan is to use around the my sawmill..... pulling 5th wheel trailer.... I want a newer truck for plowing and sanding my route.... And keep the one I have now as a backup....

18. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

Yea when I first bought my v10 about a month later it blew the spark plug out. It was under warranty, they put a new head on it. The bill was $2400.

19. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

These issues were fixed in 05 as well.

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I think a V10 would work fine for you. I suggest you test drive and see what you like.