1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F-350 2WD with plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by t-sig, May 12, 2010.

1. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Well, I went against my better judgement and bought a 2WD one ton dump dually with a plow. Everything I plow is hard surface and flat, hopefully with some weight in the back, it will do OK. It has new winter tread on the back and new summer tread on the front. The truck is an 88 and it is in amazing condition. The plow is only one year old. It has a 460 in it and runs like a champ. I will post some pics of it soon. Worst case, I will pull the plow and sell it and keep the truck. I paid $12,500 for it the whole rig.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it does not have limited slip axle in the back. You might consider putting a locker setup in it so you have posi traction. That could make a huge difference in traction when you plow. Most are easy to install in an afternoon. Buy a 4x4 magazine and look at the ads in the back. There are many companies that can help you or answer questions on it. Plus it just makes the dump more versatile too. Less likely to get stuck on regular fair weather jobs.

3. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

I hope it was a good plow.:eek:

4. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Micki, I was thinking the same thing about getting a locker. That would help alot. I don't know for sure that it isn't limited slip. I haven't had a chance to jack up the back end and spin the driveshaft.

Master, The plow is 2 years old, with paperwork. It is a 9' Meyers with an E60 pump. It has 0 time on it, and looks new.

The truck is a Ford super duty, which after some research, 1988 superduties are actually more than a 350, they are more like a 450. It has a higher gvwr than a 350 by about 2500 lbs.

Thanks for the replies guys, I love this truck, and I am not really a ford guy!

5. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

Put some weight in the bed and you should be fine I have a plowed with my fathers c-70 2wheel drive dump with a 10 foot plow. We load the dump and it has plenty of traction

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Jack both wheels off the ground and turn one. If both turn in the same direction you have possi. you need weight too when plowing. You have to be careful to not get in places where your off camber. Over hills backing up, down grades where you have to back out, tight areas where you need to be able to move forward and not skate sideways. It can be done but you have to be smart about what your doing.