1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F-250 Front end troubles

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tango!, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Tango!

Tango! Junior Member

I have severe tire wear on the outside tread of my RT front tire, did a visual and no obvious play was to be seen, also has a Weird reaction to a hard left turn, the steering play is very loose until I do a hard RT & LT manuever. Any Ideas?
    I've just paid off the plow and spent 2G'S on repair work, this year will be a profit year unless I blow it on Repair expenses, My gut says nurse it through this season and fix it come spring, but, if it goes down early I'll be S.O.L. Any Advice?

Tango!

2. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

i have a '97 f250HD (the older body style),351, ext. cab, 4x4, 8' bed, with the same problem! right front tire cups & refuses to wear evenly on the outside. have to rotate tire at 5K MAX and that still shows wear. new tires only last a year as a result, running about 20K/year, no more BFG AT's for me. brought it to the alignment shop & they didn't fix it the 1st time. replaced upper & lower ball joints as they recommended & checked out everything else down there. returned to the shop & still wasn't fixed. went to another place & they told me that fords like this cannot be alligned perfectly, it's not in the design geometry (or something like that?!@#$) and should just start buying cheap tires and deal w/ it! at least they didn't take my money. talked to a couple mechanic friends & they agreed. kinda glad to hear someone else w/ a similar problem since i bought the truck used w/ 35k on it & was starting to think i bought a wreaked truck...did a lot of front end work (including the auto-crap (non)locking hubs) and was really wondering.

can't help u but sure am interested if anyone one else knows anything about this???

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As I was reading those - my first impression was "ball joints" but you said you've replaced them. Given it's only the right front - I'd wonder if it's hit a curb hard enough to bend the spindle.

4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

we had a dodge 4x4 that a shop couldn't align the front end. took it to a truck shop and they had some type of adjustable ball joint to get it to align properly. not sure if this'll work on a ford but it may not hurt to check into.

good luck
    Mark K

5. flakesmeangreen

speedracer

u talking 'bout a commercial/medium duty truck shop kinda shop???

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If your truck is 97 or older there is no way to fix that problem. As the front front suspension loads and unloads over bumps, crowns in the road and any other movement, the wheels travel up and down. With the TTB that up and down movement rides through and arc as it goes, and in doing so, creates uneven tire wear. Fords better idea, that was originally designed for their tractors in the 50's.
    Dino

7. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

dino is exactley right, i had a 94 f250... same thing, make shur ball joints are good and the tie rods are tight.
    hur love that dana60 under my new dodge.
    dan

8. flakesmeangreen

thanks for everyone's input on this... sooooooo, i should just buy cheap tires until i get that new super duty?!?!?...looks like i'll be buying lots of cheap tires!!!

oh yeah...
    this is indeed one heck of a site!!!...just got on it yesterday, all day yesterday...can't believe the wealth of info (& knowledge) here...just gotta learn to pry myself from the computer now...guess we need some snow in the poconos!!!

9. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Flakesmeangreen,

I'll be up there this week end (Blakslee) for a few days to do a little deer huntin. You gettin out???

Mark

10. flakesmeangreen

no...i've never hunted (can't wait to see what responses that may bring up) and i'm a bit further northeast...'bout half hour west of milford/matamoras/port jervis ny area

11. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

got ya..........

Mark

12. flakesmeangreen

thanks for everyone's input on this... sooooooo, i should just buy cheap tires until i get that new super duty?!?!?...looks like i'll be buying lots of cheap tires!!!

oh yeah...
    this is indeed one heck of a site!!!...just got on it yesterday, all day yesterday...can't believe the wealth of info (& knowledge) here...just gotta learn to pry myself from the computer now...guess we need some snow in the poconos!!!

13. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Is there an echo in here...in here... in.....

Bruce

14. flakesmeangreen

what else would u expect from plowsite.com rookie

what else would u expect from plowsite.com rookie

15. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Just-a-joshin' ya there rookie. Welcome to plowsite the largest gathering of plow nuts on the internet.

Bruce

16. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

yes it was a med. duty truck shop.