1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ford F-150

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cjricha, Mar 8, 2007.

1. cjricha

cjricha Junior Member

I own a 1998 Ford F-150 4x4 Super-cab Short-bed with a 5.4 V8. I am considering buying a used plow, a 7.5 foot Meyer poly plow (don't know exact model). Should I do this, or am I being stupid? I am only looking to do 4 or 5 driveways, longest is 120 feet (my family lives too close).
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wait till mid-summer to buy a plow. They are alot cheaper. The truck will handle a plow just fine.
  3. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

Mine is a 93, 5.8L 351W & does a great job, just take care of it & it will take care of your needs. Just don't think you can beat the h@ll out of it smacking hard snow piles. I plow about 34 drives & 3 small commercial lots & have never had a issue.

Truck 100.jpg

Truck 101.jpg
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

nice truck. my cousin has a 05 150 and wants to do resi and small com lots, it should hold up fine?

he does grass and landsacaping toowesport ha
  5. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

I run an F-150 with with a 7.5 western unimount and it is just fine. Some poly blabes tend to be liter so you should be fine. Unless you have a deal lined up right now for a good price I would wait the season is basicaly over and you can get a better deal during the summer. Check E-Bay also.
  6. Vulcanclassic15

Vulcanclassic15 Member
    from Ohio

Can you post a photo of your truck?
    I have been looking at getting a new plow for mine, my dealer has already droped 15% off the first price he gave me!
  7. cjricha

cjricha Junior Member

Well, I believe I got a good deal on the plow. I paid $1000 for entire set up. It is a 7.5 meyer polyboard plow. I was given the mount, wiring, and everything else that is necessary. My problem now is that the mount I was given came off of a 1998 Chevy 1500. I own a Ford F-150. Does anybody know of somewhere or somebody who would trade a used mount straight up for a used mount? Also, if anybody knows of or has a mount for a 1998 Ford F-150 let me know.
  8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

You may not be able to trade even, it just nature of the beast. You need to find someone that needs your mount, and has what you need. I would say you got a good deal still, if it's all in good shape. Check out any plow shops. Maybe you can get a deal on a nice used mount, or even trade your mount in. There going to make money and it's unlikely to swap even, but as I said you got a good enough deal it's OK.
  9. cjricha

cjricha Junior Member

Where would be the best place to look for a used mount?